Masonery paint over brick in need of re pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this my first post on the forum so sorry I'm asking for help straight away ! The outside of my house is painted but starting to look realy rough on the cable end. I've noticed the cement between the brick is looking quite worn and probably in need of repointing. The old bloke that had the house b4 me had the house painted every year but it would last long until the paint just flaked off on the cable end and the bricks always look damp to me.
Money is a bit tight at the moment so was wondering if I could get away with just wire brushing the old paint off then re painting with a good masonery paint ? Or will it just peel off again ? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Roy, and welcome.

Do you know what type of brick you have, as fletton bricks are problematic when painted? They clay used to make them needs to breathe and painting them stops this - it's to do with the way the bricks dry when they are fired which creates spots that won't accept paint well which leads to flaking and/or spalling of the bricks (the faces crumble away).

If not fletton, it could be to do with the pointing which you suggest is worn. This can also allow excessive moisture to be absorbed into the bricks and, if they are painted when damp, the paint will almost inevitably fail.

If the gable end is West facing then it is likely to take more of a battering from the weather which tests even the best masonry paints.

I would suggest that, before you repaint, you should consider repointing the wall to see if it helps the bricks dry out. Also, wire brushing isn't the wisest way to remove flaky paint as it can leave tiny particles of the wire in the surface which can cause rust spots through the paint surface. A scraper and a very stiff nylon bristle brush is better.

Thanks misterhelpful ! Ye the gable end is west facing but not sure what brick type it is. The house was built in 1950 and I've seen a photo of it in the 60s and the paint was flaking bad then ! I do want to get it rendered eventually buying believe this is expensive ?? I need to finish the inside first before coughing up for that !

It can be expensive with the cost of scaffolding factored in.

Something to look out for before you finish the inside is to ensure there is no moisture issue on the interior of the gable wall. If there is, then it would suggest that the pointing/rendering really does need to be done first because, if the outside isn't watertight, then you are likely to get problems with your newly decorated interior. Hopefully there is no existing issue internally though.

Sponsored Links
I did actually have a problem with damp fingers crossed that's sorted now. The cavity on the gable end was full of old bits of rubble and causing the damp to track across. It seems to have done the trick. Maybe it's worth just re pointing the gable end ?

They do look like flettons and in the close up picture you can see a darker looking stripe in the brick. This is known as a 'kiss' and is typical of flettons, but I may be wrong. Do you know if the very top of the gable has been rebuilt with different brick as the paint seems to be in much better condition?

The more recent coat(s) of paint seems to be better adhered to the brick, but I can't tell how well. It makes me wonder if perhaps the original paint wasn't masonry paint, or was a poor quality one, and has failed.

I think the wall would benefit from repointing but, until all the loose paint is removed, any further coats will continue to flake. :(

I'm not sure if the gable has been rebuilt. I think what I will do is maybe repoint the gable end and repaint. Until I can afford until render the whole house. Thanks very much for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back