Matt white emulsion in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a matt white emulsion for walls and ceiling in a bathroom (with window and extractor fan).

Is it very important to use the special bathroom paints, which never seem to be matt, or is there a really good matt emulsion that will do the job without any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can paint in a water based matt finish and if you have very good vents all year round it may well last for quite a while.

However :rolleyes: It is not usual to recommend this type of paint, as advice given by any real decs would be for you to use the best type of paint for the job.

I have seen the most appalling mildew covered walls and without doubt, one of the worst surfaces is a matt finish. When I started all them years ago, bathroom walls were oil primed, undercoated, then eggshelled or glossed.

With our central heated homes today, we do not get so many damp problems so it is possible use a matt finish but if you could give an extra coat of 'polyvine' flat matt varnish, then this will give it a much harder finish to repel moisture. I have done it and I know this method works.

I have used glidden and johnstones anti mould emulsion in bathrooms with good effect. The mould inhibitor will resist mould growth. The problem is that matt emulsions don't tend to be wipeable which is normally required in a bathroom. They tend to mark easily. I personally prefer to use eggshell in these situations.

Sponsored Links
Dulux and crown do a range of kitchen paints in matt which would also be fine for a bathroom, look at kitchen plus often called mouldtec. The main problem with matt is that it's absorbtion factor in areas of both humidity and steam causes premature staining, another option here would be dulux trade diamond matt.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back