MOULD FROM WINDOW??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody pls advise what issue I am facing between my skirting boards and window? and the possible solutions?

anytime i have painted - it just keeps coming back. its a window at the front of the house - master bedroom. aluminium window. my front house wall is tiled. as per below.

Sponsored Links
Which window is it, the one above the bay roof or the other?

If above the bay, then there could be a possibility of moisture ingress, but more likely, it's just a cold spot which is causing the mould/mildew.

Painting directly over the mould wont work so thoroughly clean the area with a diluted bleach solution to kill the spores (10 parts water to one bleach is usually strong enough) and remove as much as possible before rinsing with clean cold water. Allow to dry completely before painting - you can then either use an anti-condensation paint or acrylic eggshell for the best results but, if you can keep the area warmer and well aired (curtains closed for a long time can allow mould to form if the wall is cold), regular emulsion may do the job. You could even put one of those cheap condensation traps (found in pound shops) on the floor to see if that helps.

It's not a decorating issue, it's a damp/condensation problem.

Best to ventilate the room thoroughly, take the curtains down, clean the wall, add an air brick, get a dehumidifier and see if any of that fixes the issue.

Hopefully it isn't rising damp.

To get the aesthetics right, I'd bleach the area then apply some stain block and re-paint. Fix the damp first, though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back