Mould issue and how to handle damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I live in a little cottage which is dry, however the main bedroom suffers from damp around the window:

This causes mould around the window which spreads across the walls:

I thought this was mostly caused by condensation on the window, but I recently had a deocrator come round and he said it the mould is caused by damp coming through the wall. Id be tempted to disagree - but then what do I know!? :)

Is there any type of mould resistant paint I could use? The deocrator said that the mould would just come back within months, so Id be better off using bleach on it every few weeks. But wouldnt that rub the emulsion off the walls?

Id just be interested in hearing what you guys have to say and if you haev similar problems and how you handle it.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Going by the top picture you have a condensation problem,

what sort of ventilation/ heating do you have in the room, is there en suite or hand basin facilities in the bedroom.?
Could be that wall is a cold spot and the outside gets the worst of the weather.

I dont have anything in the way of ventilation (ie ventilation bricks). I do try and keep the window part-open in the veening, but my girlfriend complains of the cold. It seems we either get cold, or we have a condensation problem!

We have economy 7 heating, and Ive recently bought a dehumidifier. I was hoping that I could just buy some mould reissten paint and paint around the window, but I dont think it will be as simple as that. :(

Sponsored Links
You need to get rid of the moisture on the windows, going by the Picture it looks like you have Secondary Double Glazing,

Try a narrow dish of Silica Gel Granules inbetween the glazing units, this should help given time. Wont look pretty but will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back