New walls, skirting and floor - which order?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my house replastered and all the old skirting has been ripped out. I've had a decorator around who advised I should get the skirting on first before getting him in to paint the walls/skirting, I was a little surprised by this. The builders (who is apparently also a painter) disagrees with this and says the skirting should be put on afterwards.

Reading through posts on here, I know the engineered would floor I have needs to go down before the skirting, but can you confirm if the decorator was correct and the skirting should go on before finishing the walls off?

(I think I've answered my own question, the decorator is a decorator and the builder a builder - but would like some reassurance)

Sponsored Links
I've always preferred to have the skirting on before decorating as you can fill any fixing holes, and caulk the joint along the top of the skirting, without the worry (and annoyance) of marking or damaging freshly decorated walls.

I can understand that people worry that a new floor could get paint on it if laid before decorating, but a good decorator will protect everything properly before starting. I suppose if the skirting isn't being painted, and only stained/varnished, then it could be done before fixing and any gaps/fixing holes may be less noticeable left unfilled, but that never looks properly finished to me.

I've always preferred to have the skirting on before decorating as you can fill any fixing holes, and caulk the joint along the top of the skirting, without the worry (and annoyance) of marking or damaging freshly decorated walls.

That's what the decorator was saying - and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Unsure what finish for the skirting yet - something for the missus to look into!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back