Painted kitchen cupboards paint comes off - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can advise me after what I fear has been a wasted few days...

I've just painted my kitchen cabinets, which I think are wood doors and melamine bases. I read up on it beforehand and so cleaned off dirt and grease with sugar soap, sanded with medium sand paper, cleaned, then applied two coats of cabinet primer (supposedly good for wood, MDF, melamine etc etc), with light sanding after each coat.

I then painted two coats of Dulux diamond eggshell paint which I was advised at the Dulux centre would do as good as if not a better job than other paint on cabinets. It's water based trade paint.

This was only a few days ago so I know the paint hasn't cured yet, but it's very easily scratched e.g. by fingernails which I've found rather upsetting! I expected more from this 10x more durable than anything paint! Have I done something wrong? Can I do anything after the paint is cured to seal it?

Advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Those primers (I use Zinsser bullseye 123 quite a bit) do take up to a couple of weeks to cure.

In this weather when it is humid paint can take much longer to dry despite being indoors, try to treat it carefully and with luck the adhesion will improve :D

It does sound like you did the right things, although leaving a couple of days before applying the top coats might have helped the primer to dry a little faster.

If we both keep our fingers crossed it may well turn out ok :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back