Painted silk accidently... Can I apply matt on top of silk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, I painted silk 'dulux soft stone' paint on ceiling of my living room. This morning I realised it is too shiny and I really did not like it.

Luckily I have done only one coat.

I wanted to paint the same colour soft stone in emulsion. Could you please advice me what should I do now.

My flat is only two years old and I think previously it was painted in Gardenia emulsion.

Sponsored Links
What you have put on is probably silk finish emulsion paint (it will say on the tin).

It's OK to cover it with matt finish emulsion (or even ultra flat matt if you want a really flat finish!) but yu may need to put two coats on.

[/i]

If you have used a silk emulsion then you you should firstly lightly abrade (sand) and dust off prior to the application of a matt finish, otherwise the matt system can often fail to bond to a shiny surface and will have a tendancy to both crack and craze.

Dec

I agree that is a risk but in practice have only ever found it to be a problem with very cheap silk emulsion.

Another Dec

Sponsored Links
Then you should consider yourself rather lucky, for that effect can and often does occur using albeit a cheap or trade quality system.

Dec

Then you should consider yourself rather lucky, for that effect can and often does occur using albeit a cheap or trade quality system.

Dec

You don't need the word 'albeit' in that sentence.

HTH

PS And that was a pretty powerful tablet!

If you had got your advice correct in the first instance, I really would not have to intervene. I am a decorator, not a scholar!!

Dec

If you had got your advice correct in the first instance, I really would not have to intervene. I am a decorator, not a scholar!!

Dec

Oh, I think you would have had to intervene, however correct my advice. You always do! You can't seem to help it.

(And you don't have to be a scholar to know when a word is completely redundant in a sentence).

Your advice was incorrect, and there is no need whatsover to quote my posts. For I am already aware of the advice of which I have offered.

Dec

Your advice was incorrect
Dec

Not really. It was, at worst, missing the slight qualification which you so helpfully supplied. I have however painted matt emulsion onto silk and soft sheen on more than one occasion without any of the dire consequences you predict.

Perhaps the crazing you fear is a Welsh Valleys thing.

Another Dec. (You are not the Only One!). :D

Yesterday, I painted silk 'dulux soft stone' paint on ceiling of my living room. This morning I realised it is too shiny and I really did not like it.

I wanted to paint the same colour soft stone in emulsion. Could you please advice me what should I do now.

My flat is only two years old and I think previously it was painted in Gardenia emulsion.

Just lightly sand and dust off before you apply your matt, and it wouldn't hurt to slightly thin your first coat prior to application.

Dec

Just lightly sand and dust off before you apply your matt, and it wouldn't hurt to slightly thin your first coat prior to application.

Dec

Thanks. I have sanded yesterday and then painted the first coat. It has been 24 hours. I cannot see any cracks. However it seems I need to do another coat.

How much time should I wait for the second coat?

Also I used Dulux Hints Soft Stone Matt Emulsion on the ceiling . Today when I went to DIY shop they also have same Soft Stone Matt Emulsion in another type of paint called "Dulux Once". Do you think Dulux Once is better than Dulux Hints and if I use Dulux Once on he walls, will it look different from ceiling.

24hrs is fine, your good to go.

Dec

Sorry missed the second bit, well this is just my opinion, yet I am no fan of Dulux Once. If your happy with the hints I would stick with it.

Dec

24hrs is fine, your good to go.

Dec

Sorry missed the second bit, well this is just my opinion, yet I am no fan of Dulux Once. If your happy with the hints I would stick with it.

Dec

But I have heard Once is difficult to apply if compared with Hints ?

Also will there be any colour or shade difference b/w Hint and Once if us same Matt Emulsion Soft Stone?

The colours should be the same throughout the dulux range but there may be indiscretions due to differing batch's. This means that even if you purchases two identical tins with the same colour that there could be a slight difference in shade. Shouldn't be noticeable in the situation you are stating though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back