Painting a gilt mirror frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She who must be dismayed has decreed that our gilt mirror frame should be painted over.
First, I need to clean and degrease it. It has some ornate bits so rather than use sandpaper I 'm thinking of using sugar soap. Is this OK ?

Second, not trusting my brush technique I'm thinking of using an aerosol can to spray the paint on - but she doesn't want gloss so that excludes Halfords/car spray paint. Can anyone recommend a seller of non gloss aerosol paint - ideally satin finish ?

Thanks
Bazza

Sponsored Links
Be very careful if any of the coating is damaged and a whitish material is showing through. Traditional frames often used Gesso a kind of chalk based plaster like material which I doubt will respond well to being soaked with sugar soap.

I would suggest having a look on the net for information about restoring old frames for a few tips on dealing with ornate surfaces before starting.

You can get matt paint in cans, just more limited in colour choice.

Sponsored Links
Plasticote (plastikote??) do a range of spray paints, although a lot of it is quite jazzy!! Bright colours and fluorescent being their main stock in trade, but you may find something to your taste.

Hobby Craft tend to stock most of the range, and a few other ones if I remember rightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back