painting kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I have just registered on here so I apologise if I sound daft or silly. I am looking for advice as to what is the best paint to use to paint my kitchen cupboards. At the moment they are wood, with a sort of vanish effect on them. I know that I will have to sand them down first and then undercoat, but im not sure what undercoat to use or what paint. I do know that I will need an oil based one, but does this mean that in theory I can use any make of paint (not necessarily paint specifically for cupboards) and as long as its oil based it will do the job? I have been told that I dont really need to get cupboard paint as its so expensive, so can anyone suggest a good quality paint that I can buy that wont break the bank, and a good undercoat. Im not sure whether the cupboards are real wood or mdf, but would this really matter, so long as I get a good paint?

thanks guys :)

Sponsored Links
thanks very much for that link for info, unfortunately though because this is all very new to me, I found it a little confusing. So id be very grateful if someone could just tell me which paint i need to buy....i.e. gloss, satin, matt etc......and does it have to be a certain make or could i buy say a Dulux colour in satin?

many thanks

I think you'll find that almost every make of paint will claim to have exactly what you need, but I have found the Zinsser range particularly good and the interior 'perma white' range is touch dry in 30 mins and particularly resistant to moisture and grease.
As for gloss or satin, well that has to be up to you really but you'll only do the job once so spend some time deciding.
Enjoy your project!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I put the link in because with kitchens its much more than banging a coat of paint on.
You need to clean/degrease
abrade
put a really good primer on (as mentioned zinsser are good, i'd probably go with cover stain, but you could use mythic or 123)
fill and abrade
spot prime
undercoat or first top coat
fill and spot prime, abrade
2nd and 3rd coats
wet and dry abrasion between coats would get the best finish

There's a good reason why they estimate £100 per door.

Little green eggshell would be my choice of paint, wether you choose oil based is up to you and dependant on colour, e.g. if i was doing it in green i'd go with oil based but white has to be acrylic.
You need to use decent brushes and keep it dust free

thanks for all the advice and suggestions, ive finally decided on a choice of paint which is Dulux Satinwood (oil based), but just need to know what would be the best undercoat to use.....i.e. because im using an oil based paint does that mean the undercoat must be oil based? or can any undercoat be used with an oil based paint? and do i have to use a Dulux one or can I use any other brand?

any suggestions would be very much appreciated

:)

As mentioned by dcdec, if your doors are going to be finished in white then acrylic (water based) would be the best system, from primer to topcoat.
If you are using a colour then the oil based Dulux Satinwood range should be fine and you can use either water based or oil based undercoat. My preference would be oil based as it has more body and I've always liked to stick to the same system whenever possible. The most important part is to get the primer right to make sure the paint adheres - Zinsser B-I-N is best but their Bullseye 123 Plus would be my choice for kitchen units as it is easier to use. Most of their priming products adhere very well to most substrates, without the need for sanding, but a light sanding of varnish first always helps. If you sand and then go directly on to any bare timber/mdf with undercoat before priming you are likely to end up with some sort of problem.

thanks again for all the help, ive now bought my paint and undercoat......but the paint seems to be quite thick and it does say on the tin to put a good coat on to ensure good coverage (maybe thats the reason why its so thick).....but as im using an undercoat, i dont really want it to go on that thick so I would like to know is it possible and ok to thin the paint down a little with turps? the paint is Dulux Satinwood, oil based......it does say on the tin that it doesnt require an undercoat but as im putting it on dark wood, i think it would take quite a few coats to cover completely.....hence the reason for me buying undercoat and wanting to thin the paint down slightly

thanks folks :D

If you decorate in a simple way then it will get more easy for you. And the more you keep it simple, the more you will like it. Or the easiest way is to do it by appointing some interior decorator for affordable kitchen cabinets

this is just an update really, after sanding down all my kitchen cupboards and giving them all an undercoat, they have had first top coat today and i have to say they look really bloody good :D i did thin the paint down slightly and it has gone a lot further, also it doesnt seem to 'drag' when putting it on, as it did on a test piece i did before i started. So if anyone is wondering whether or not to use a paint like Dulux Once.....in my opinon its just as good as any other, after being thinned down slightly......and maybe if you were painting on to new wood or wood that was lighter in colour, id say that you could probably get away without an undercoat too. I only did an undercoat because the wood was very dark, (a bit like an olde world farmhouse kitchen) and its the same kitchen that has been in the house since i moved in in 1996!!!!. If i could of afforded a new kitchen id probably have done that, but im more than happy with the results of got so far, if i can work it out, il put some pics on. The paint I used was B&Q Colours Classic Red for the ceiling, and for the wood work Dulux Once in Natural Calico......goes really well with the red....looks like strawberry's n cream :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back