Painting over colour dark stain t&g ceiling with white p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, which I've come across after searching the internet for information on how to paint over a dark colour stain tongue & groove ceiling with white paint.

We are purchasing a new house, which currently has a tongue & groove ceiling in the kitchen, which is lovely but it's very dark looking with a dark brown coloured stain/varnish. I don't have pictures as we haven't moved in yet and I don't know how many layers of varnish may have been painted on over the years, but going off the decorating in the rest of the house it's probably been up there a good number of years as it's all dated.

With my very little decorating knowledge I'm guessing that I will need to strip the varnish off first by sanding, which I figure will be a long hard job so I was wondering about buying an electric sander to make the job easier. I haven't viewed the house for a while, but from memory I think the boards are fairly flat. Then I'm thinking that I will need to seal the wood before painting over? Could anybody give me any advice please? I really don't know which way to tackle this!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back