Painting over newly plastered ceiling and walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just had the ceiling re plastered in the box room - new plasterboard etc. All the walls have been skimmed, also.

I was told it would be ready to paint in 3 or so days but from what I have read this could be much longer.

The skim was thin but I am guessing the ceiling was a thicker layer....?

1) What time should I give this before I set about decorating?
2) B&Q fella told me 2 coats of matt emulsion watered down, followed by a normal coat of the same emulsion, then I'm good to go with chosen colour?

If anyone could answer my questions above I would be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance
Worto's better half

Sponsored Links
Heya

When you say replastered - what do you mean? If it's just a skim, personally speaking, I'd leave it for a about 4-5 days to be on the safe side. Let the room dry naturally and slowly with the window open. Not too much heat and no dehumidifier as it can make it crack if dried too fast.

Mist coat I only ever do one coat (the watered down) and it always seems to be enough then 2 coats of normal paint. To do 2 mist coat coats, plus topcoat as well as 2 more coats of chosen colour seems a tad excessive.. I would use fairly decent quality paint tho, and not B&Q's own :)
Happy painting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back