Painting tongue and groove with Johnstone's Acrylic Satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have got all my tongue and groove installed and will be picking up some tinted Johnstone's Trade Acrylic Satin this afternoon. Can I please get a little advice how to apply and what with, as I understand it is quite a bit harder to work with than oil based, but I want to get through it and have it dry quicker.

I have seen a few threads where a 4" brush is recommended for painting wood, but the planks are only 9cm wide with a double groove (pic below) in them so this would be far too wide I think. I am thinking maybe a 2" brush to get in to the gaps and a roller to do the flat areas and join it all up - would this be a good method? Also, what type of roller cover would be needed?

It is also pre primed wood, so is there any special preparation required above the usual?

Sponsored Links
Personally I would just use a 2" brush for the whole lot and not waste time trying to use a roller as well. However I'm not familiar with the paint you're using so can't comment on that part of your question.

OK, I will try that on some scrap first. I was just worried about the quicker drying time as even pros on here and elsewhere say it dries very quickly and I am not so fast or skilled as they are.

Sponsored Links
Wet down first or add 5% water to the paint.

Lay on quickly in sections and finish with a full stroke end to end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back