Pls Rec Dulux Trade Vinyl/ Diamond Matt Dilutions & Slee

kgk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello experience DIY'ers, painters and pro-decs, I could use some advice here about which dilutions and readily available roller sleeves (screwfix, toolstation, Dulux Dec) you have found in your experience give the best results with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt and Trade Diamond Matt paints.

I have a lot of room painting to do (finally, hopefully) this weekend. This will be going onto prepared (mist coated or Gardz treated) but not previously painted plastered walls / ceilings.

My experience so far with getting some *Trade* Vinyl Matt onto the ceiling is that it needs quite a bit of dilution (much more than the tub would suggest) with water and/or floetrol to produce an acceptable result (keeping an open wet edge and controlling orange peel). I would still like to achieve a better result but I can't just keep experimenting. Also, the Diamond Matt is also just too expensive to not be laying it on properly from the start. (.... Oh how I wish I could afford to bring in the professionals to take do this job right, arghhhh)

Also, I know that there is a lot of debate (indeed often derision) about the (lack of) quality of Dulux paints, but Dulux is what I need to use to keep the peace at home (since other brands the wife does not know or otherwise thinks of as too flash / expensive). So, no real point in Dulux bashing.

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience!

Sponsored Links
You say there's no point bashing Dulux but its an inferior product so your question is impossible to answer when the answer is don't use Dulux.
Wooster pro-dooz sleeves are good

I still use a fair amount of Dulux Trade emulsion (although I much prefer Little Greene) and find it to be reasonable value for money compared with other paint in the same price band (Leyland, etc). I wouldn't touch Dulux trim paints though - the eggshell is hopelessly rough and nasty.

I have never felt the need to use thinners, floetrol etc - I just use the paint undiluted and crack on with the job. Two coats usually allows me to produced a solid, opaque covering with no roller lines.

Is this because I am from Yorkshire where it never gets hot or dry enough to have to worry about losing the wet edge?!

Sponsored Links
I have never had to thin out a new tin of Dulux, only after storing it for around a year or more. Then I just dilute until the consistency feels about right with the mixing stick

For ceilings I use Dulux trade Durable Flat Matt - barely any sheen so hides uneven ceiling surfaces quite well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back