Prepare wood floor for to be painted black

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got a wooden floor in the dining room, I've removed the carpet as I want exposed floor boards. I am going to replace about 5 of the floor boards as they have been well and truly ruined by carelessly lifting them to fit radiator pipes etc.

Because I'm replacing boards, I don't want to go with a clear varnish type finish because having done exactly that before in another room of the house, I don't like how the new and old boards don't match.

So in the dining room I plan to paint the floor black so that the new and old boards dont look so obviously different.

So what I'm wondering is - do I need to go to the expense of hiring a floor sander? Obviously if varnishing a floor you need to get it sanded down to look pretty perfect before varnishing. In this case though as I'm putting black paint on it, I wonder if I can just give the floor a sanding with a small hand held belt sander (which I already own, so it won't cost anything in hire charges), just a light sanding so that the paint adheres properly.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Just FYI, I'm looking at getting black Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint link below, but if anyone has any advice on whether this is any good let me know:
http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint-...loor-Paint-Black-2-5L-11348505?skuId=11858715

Cheers
Joe

Sponsored Links
Obviously, the smoother the surface, the better the paint finish.

Try preparing and painting a section of the floor with your hand sander and if you are happy with it, do the whole lot.

if not, then hire a commercial sander.

I wonder if I can just give the floor a sanding with a small hand held belt sander (which I already own, so it won't cost anything in hire charges

I've sanded my floors with a belt sander. It should be fine.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back