Preparing walls for painting - best approach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning this weekend to paint my living room and would like some advice/steps needed please to ensure that the finish is of a high quality

When preparing the walls what steps should I take before I start painting?

And looking at the two images below, is it best to sand this down (if so what grade paper) and also in the 2nd pic how could I fill in the blemishes in the current wall to get a smooth finish

Sponsored Links
For the crack, which looks like it is a door frame, I would scrape that area gently with a small scraper to remove anything which is loose.
It doesn't look to deep so you should be able to get away with decorators caulk to fill the join between the frame and the wall.

I would rub down the area above the radiator for a key and face fill then smooth off. Then I would wash down all walls with sugar soap ready to paint.

Hope this helps. I'm not a pro but done quite a bit of this in my own house. :)

Get yourself some red devil filler or a toupret lightweight, fill the blemishes with this , you may be better using this filler on the crack, you can apply it with your finger. Spot prime filler with watered down emulsion (about 30%).
No need to sugar soap walls unless they are noticeably dirty, rubbing down will remove any surface dirt. I use 180 or 240 silicone carbide (usually labelled up as between coats paper).

Don't forget to rake out the crack.

thanks

For the peeling / cracked paint by the door frames I have used a stanley knife to remove the loose flaky paint and plaster and have used decorators caulking around the frame

Is this ok?

With the blemishes above the radiator - should I sand it down first, or just fill in with filler and then sand down for a smooth finish?

Finally I have some more cracks in the plaster, when you mention rake out do you mean using a screwdriver and working it down the crack to make it bigger so there is enough for the filler to hold on to, otherwise the crack will re-appear?

Sponsored Links
Just to simplify things
1. Scrap away any loose paint
2. Open up any cracks with as you say a screwdriver or knife ( I uses the point of a scraper) whatever you find easiest.
3. Fill and sand
4. Water down some Matt emulsion to paint over the filler
5. Paint

As for woodwork i prefer to sand before any painting is done, just so the dusty work and prep is done.

Thanks what's the best approach and tools to use to scrape away loose paint such as around door frames , bottom of skirtings etc

Thanks so just use a tool like you mentioned and then use decorators caulking around the frames , skirting frames etc

Why does the caulking / filler need to be painted with watered down emulsion first ? Coup I just paint over it with normal paint

In some cases the paint can peel off the filler, watered down emulsion will seal it first, like you would with new plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back