re-dulux satinwood on rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, bit of a poser here.
I bought a tin of Dulux water based quick drying satinwood almond white, self under coating,to do my doors and rads, as I have for years, using same stuff.
From the off I had problems.I stirred it very well as it had a blueish liqiud top on it.The door took 3 coats, because, it looked as if I,d missed parts, but i hadn,t, that,s ok now.BUT, the rads are a totally different thing;;
"2 coats and seemed ok, , 6 hours recommended, but all had 12 hours+ before 2nd coat, weeks went by, then noticed, that, they were all tacky when hot, now 8 weeks on, and still tacky.
Wrote to Dulux, sent me a voucher for 2.5 litre free,(oil based) but, said I must have done them when warm, even though I told them they were cold.I,m Not a novice 70 years old;. 1 is never on, but still the same;;I,m
dubious to put anything on them until I know for sure,WHY;
any advice would be appreciated, still got several doors and rads to do.

Sponsored Links
Its hard to diagnose problems with Dulux paints these days as the quality of their products has gone rapidly down hill. They seem to be tinkering and cutting the quality of the raw materials constantly, so the best advice i can give you is to ditch the brand and get yourself a tin of sikkens BL satura, its an alkyd hybrid which means its water based but applies and gives a finish more akin to oil based. Needs application with a good synthetic brush.

Should just add that on rads any bare spots need spot priming with an oil based or something like coverstain from zinnser, OB undercoat thinned down a bit would do the job, if you don't you'll get a rust spot.

Its hard to diagnose problems with Dulux paints these days as the quality of their products has gone rapidly down hill. They seem to be tinkering and cutting the quality of the raw materials constantly, so the best advice i can give you is to ditch the brand and get yourself a tin of sikkens BL satura, its an alkyd hybrid which means its water based but applies and gives a finish more akin to oil based. Needs application with a good synthetic brush.

Should just add that on rads any bare spots need spot priming with an oil based or something like coverstain from zinnser, OB undercoat thinned down a bit would do the job, if you don't you'll get a rust spot.
Hi dc, thanks for reply.
Was going to change to another brand for Rads, will use Dulux for doors, especially now they,ve given me 2.5 litres gratis and the stuff I bought.
Never had this before. The problem, if it is one, is, is it ok to apply another brand whilst the Dulux is still tacky when hot?
I don,t want to strip the 3 rads I,ve done. Thought a coat of undercoat, perhaps? Might seal it.? Rads are in good nick, no rust spots etc.
Don,t know if/when tackiness will go;;;ok when cold, so obviously paint isn,t fully setting.?
Will try that paint, cheers, if I can get it, limited here for decorating supplies. Use Homebase normally, that,s where I bought it from, local. Thanks for advice.

Its a tricky one, have you tried keeping the affected rads on for a long time and periodically checking the tackiness? It can't be doing the coating much good and i would think it will crack sooner or later. I think you're going to have to apply a coat of oil based undercoat when cold then see what happens when the rad warms up, if its ok go ahead with the satura. If the problem persists give dulux tech a ring and explain that you can't apply anything over the top of the satin and you're completely stuck. If you really persist they will send one of their own decs out.

Sponsored Links
Its a tricky one, have you tried keeping the affected rads on for a long time and periodically checking the tackiness? It can't be doing the coating much good and i would think it will crack sooner or later. I think you're going to have to apply a coat of oil based undercoat when cold then see what happens when the rad warms up, if its ok go ahead with the satura. If the problem persists give dulux tech a ring and explain that you can't apply anything over the top of the satin and you're completely stuck. If you really persist they will send one of their own decs out.
Hi dc, that,s what I told Dulux in my letter, but they, didn,t seem to read it proper. Thought I was just after free paint, but they have asked for batch number, so will reply again.
The rads have been on for practically 6-8 weeks all day, with the cold weather we,ve had, and still tacky, so cannot see them changing soon, if ever; Does it have to be oil based undercoat? got plenty water based.
If so, then I will buy a tin.cannot wait forever, doing the whole house.The rad tops are like orange peel effect now.There customer service phone number is a premium number;;;;;;Got another off MSE. Gone are the days when Dulux meant quality.AkzoNobel now.So is Sikkens as well it seems. same number, might be best to ring them.

I doubt its that they didn't read it right they just don't give a toss, but i think a phone call is going to have to be your next step, my feeling is you have a faulty product and it will be best to follow Dulux advice as any further problems they will have to take responsibility for. Sikkens paint is very good though but i expect they'll screw it up, we certainly don't have anything near the full range available to us in the uk, hope it goes alright for you, let us know what they say

I doubt its that they didn't read it right they just don't give a toss, but i think a phone call is going to have to be your next step, my feeling is you have a faulty product and it will be best to follow Dulux advice as any further problems they will have to take responsibility for. Sikkens paint is very good though but i expect they'll screw it up, we certainly don't have anything near the full range available to us in the uk, hope it goes alright for you, let us know what they say
cheers dc, will keep you posted, I will phone them tomorrow.It does say, if I need any more advice, to phone them, but, wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

cheers dc, will keep you posted, I will phone them tomorrow.It does say, if I need any more advice, to phone them, but, wondered if anyone else had the same problem.
Hi dc, just rang Dulux,tech dept, about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, ;
Apart from throwing paint at me, which, of course, I aint refused, another 10 litres of my choice, on top of the 2.5 already given, she" suggested sanding back to base the 3 rads.leave 5 weeks to dry before turning rads on. never heard anything like it. bloody freezing here today, ch on every day.It,s 6 weeks since I did them .
she obviously doesn,t do any painting herself, kept referring to someone else.
batch ok, only me then.;;;
I,ve never had to wait that long to use rads, couple days at most, after second coat.usually paint inside during winter,outside in summer;. imagine 5 weeks without heat in middle of winter
whenever I,ve used this paint before, every year for last 18 in this house, I usually have to wait ages for it to dry initially, tacky at first,so leave rads off till touch dry; but, this quick drying is the opposite, if it,s dry to touch, then a couple days later, presume it,s ok to turn rads on.
any more ideas appreciated.?

nice job eh;;
will try a "light" sanding of 1, and try other type, the one you suggested, can get it from, Dulux paint centre, when, take my vouchers.

They're not really sorting your problem or making any decent suggestions are they? Lets face it they havn't got a clue and tbh i'm scratching my head as i've never heard or come across such a problem. If it was oil based paint you could add some driers but i don't know if they can be added to water based, i'd say probably not. All you can really do is follow the advice and if it doesn't work hit them with another phone call, tell them your going round in circles and you want an on site visit, sorry i can't be of more use but 1. I can't really advise you to go against Dulux advice in case they pull the voided warranty trick. 2. We are all having to adjust to WB paints and problems are coming up that are new to us and so it seems to Dulux.

Keep us up to date, good luck with it

They're not really sorting your problem or making any decent suggestions are they? Lets face it they havn't got a clue and tbh i'm scratching my head as i've never heard or come across such a problem. If it was oil based paint you could add some driers but i don't know if they can be added to water based, i'd say probably not. All you can really do is follow the advice and if it doesn't work hit them with another phone call, tell them your going round in circles and you want an on site visit, sorry i can't be of more use but 1. I can't really advise you to go against Dulux advice in case they pull the voided warranty trick. 2. We are all having to adjust to WB paints and problems are coming up that are new to us and so it seems to Dulux.

Hi dc. yes, I have never come across it either.
I have rubbed all 3 back to coat below the one applied. until they are not tacky when warm,ain,t going further;
Done 1 again with the water based one I have had trouble with, BUT, leaving a long time between coats, and not turning heating on it for a while,.just to prove a point, whether it,s me or the paint.This one was never on when painted anyway, so wasn,t heat problem;;but still tacky, 6 weeks later, without being on, until I tried it hot.73c is all new boiler heats rads up to, old one would go to 85c +, like paint, bloody useless thing, another new idea;
The other 2.?
probably give 1 a coat of Dulux oil based which they are giving me,2.5 lts and 1 with Sikkens, which, I,ve pursuaded her to give me also,water based, same company;didn,t object, surprisingly;2.5 lts. they have just arrived, so on the ball there,.and 5 lts dulux weathershield and 5 lts diamond matt emulsion, so, they must know there,s a problem to chuck that at me;;;'but, as you say, they are not saying why I,m having this problem.
See what happens. just glad I didn,t do all 15 at once, as I normally do, annually.good job I,m retired;
It,s a try and see job.Cheers

Hi DDC ;Just an UPDATE, Done the 3 rads again. first with existing bad paint, still the same;;To be done again, just to prove a point.
2nd with Dulux Satinwood trade oil based.;;OK.
3rd with Sikkens water based. OK.
So, sorted, thanks for tips.
cheers ;
So a success in total, proving their first batch, was a bad one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back