Re-paint Garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garage door is galvanised steel. The bottom of the door was flaking. I was advised that all the paint should be removed. I have almost removed the paint. There is no rust particles to be found and the door is sound.

Please can anyone suggest the best way to prepare the metal prior to painting it? I read in an article that the metal should be treated prior to primer or undercoat. Is this correct when taken back to the bare metal?
Does it actually need treated if there is no rust.. Can anyone help please?

Many Thanks

Twigslet51

Sponsored Links
Give the door a good wipe down with some meths and a rag, prime the bare metal with Zinsser 123 plus primer, then apply a good quality exterior undercoat and gloss, lightly sanding between coats.

My plan is to paint the garage door the same colour as out new front door. The front door is medium oak with a natural vein through it.

I would like the garage door to be the same colour medium oak and I would like to run a vein stamp throughout each bar. I wondered if I would still be able to reach the ideal effect with your suggestion using an eggshell paint?

Three years ago, I stripped this garage door. It took awhile but I removed the paint on this occasion with a chisel and although time consuming it seemed to make a good job. I used hammerite paint and followed the advice on the tin which stated that an undercoat was not necessary. After eighteen months the paint began to peel. I do not wish to repeat that performance again and am therefore looking for advice. Can you give me some advice?

I have looked at Hammerite paint and the colours seem to be very basic. Will it be possible to find a medium oak colour and will I be able to use a vein stamp to create the correct effact? Would I need to apply a varnish? Once again can you help me, please?

Many thanks

Twigslet51

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back