Removing painted-over paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Started to sort out the bedroom - both walls and ceiling had painted-over paper. Luckily for the ceiling I managed to rip off the paint and I guess part of the paper in big chunks, and what was left steamed off easily.

The walls have not been so easy. I tried scoring the paint, but even then the the steamer seems to just turn the paint to a sticky slightly goo-like substance.

I've tried wire brushing the paint but that didn't help much - the only way I have got any of it off is to turn the paint to goo, peel that off - which seems to remove the top layer of paper too as what I get is very small bits of paint with a pattern on the back. I can then steam off what's left.

It's a very slow process, so I can't do the entire room like that. Can anyone suggest a quicker way?

I think the plaster behind the lot is old but generally sound, so I'd rather not destroy it in the process.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back