Repainting galvanised garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My garage door looks like it has dandruff. I can see that it is galvanised underneath the paint.

Do I need to strip all the paint off? It looks like if I don't, it will continue to flake. Not sure if it was done correctly, but could just be old.

Thanks,

Mick

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it hasn't been primed correctly.

You need to remove all the paint, then use the CORRECT primer. Then undercoat and then topcoat.

You need to research for sure what the metal is and find the appropriate primer, but it's possible a special metals primer is what you require. It should say on the tin what surfaces it can be used on.

It is vital you use an appropriate primer, because otherwise it will peel.

So, what's the best way to get the paint of.

If its galvanised, doesn't that mean it's steel?

Try scraping it off first, if it's really loose.

If only some of it scrapes off, you may not have to remove all of it - hard to say without seeing it.

But if it is in quite bad condition then you would be best to remove it all.

I used a liquid paint stripper to do this in 2008, and the stuff just fell off.

However, I'm told liquid paint stripper is useless now.

Maybe a hot air gun in the answer, have seen garage doors done successfully.

Whatever you use, work safely as both have their dangerous sides.

Don't scratch the galv too much.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it may turn out to be a bit of a time consuming and expensive nightmare. Hot air stripper and much elbow grease to get the paint off, then a lot of sanding. Expensive metal primer and top paint.

Good luck.

How much would a new door be?

Good luck.

good point :idea: The only reason I`m keeping my garage door in a similar condition :evil: is because it`s the type of up+ over that has rails across the roof to support the top of the door as it opens - and can be motorised later with a kit ;) Most new ones just wave about and also don`t retract fully into the garage - BUT if that`s not an issue - go for a new one

Good luck.

good point :idea: The only reason I`m keeping my garage door in a similar condition :evil: is because it`s the type of up+ over that has rails across the roof to support the top of the door as it opens - and can be motorised later with a kit ;) Most new ones just wave about and also don`t retract fully into the garage - BUT if that`s not an issue - go for a new one

I know exactly what you mean. In the end, it may boil down to how much OP's time is worth to him. We inherited a metal up and over door once with exactly the same problem (grotty paint finish) - we tried everything including sandblasting it (don't ask!) to try to get the surface smooth, but failed. Fortunately the mechanism gave up the ghost as well so I set OH on making a sturdy wooden one instead which was a joy to paint and has lasted 23 years. I hate metal doors!

I would try to prepare it and repaint it first. I expect you will get the majority of the worst of the paint off just by scraping.

Seems a shame to get rid of the door if it only needs a bit of effort and TLC.

Get a new door? Just because it needs painting? How stupid is that?

80% came off really easily with a scraper, other 20% I did with a hot air gun. Painted it with Hammerite special metals primer, next going to use hammerite garage door paint.

Get a new door? Just because it needs painting? How stupid is that?

80% came off really easily with a scraper, other 20% I did with a hot air gun. Painted it with Hammerite special metals primer, next going to use hammerite garage door paint.

There is no need to be rude.

You made it sound as though the surface of the door was wrecked and that it would be hell's own job to get it looking good.

If it wasn't, in the end, jolly good. I'm glad for you. But please don't bite our heads off when we are trying to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back