Repairing ceiling paint near shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have very low ceilings. Near the shower the ceiling gets quite wet with splash and/or steam, despite an extractor.

As a result the ceiling paint and a little of the wall has peeled:

I have removed all flaking paint, bleached all the mould and rubbed down the whole area a little. Everything left seems sound enough.

What do I do to a) blend the edges of all those bare bits and b)then paint over the whole ceiling to create a respectable finish?

I don't want to bodge it, but I have to consider we are moving (hopefully) once I have finished decorating (this is the last room, thank goodness).

All advice welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Prime the bare plaster with thinned emulsion first then if your ok with it trowel on a powder filler like toupret tx 110 (i think). Make sure you go past the peeling edge (which needs to be sound) rub down, prime filler with thinned emulsion. If you're getting mould problems you could try zinsser permawhite. If you really want to be thorough apply a coat of zinsser peelstop or gardz prior to painting the finish coat/s

Thanks for that. That Peel Stop looks like a useful tin - can you get it from DIY sheds or BMs?

Sponsored Links
so,

1. thinned emulsion on the bare bits
2. filler and sand smooth
3. zinser peel stop
4. zinser permawhite over all the ceiling

that the gist?

thanks again

Yep that would be a first class job, i think the peelstop will seal the filler but worth going over it with the thinned emulsion as it stops the filler from flashing through your top coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back