Repairing hairline cracks in painted mdf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
About 18 months ago I installed a pre finished mantel piece from wickes.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/orleans-mantle/invt/156856/
I cant remember exactly but think it was made from mdf.

Over the last 4 months, maybe more there have been some hairline cracks appear in the paint which have now become more noticeable with the mantel resembling a spiders web.

I want to repaint the mantel but how can i prevent the cracks from reappearing and what undercoat/topcoat is best to use?

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

What type of paint did you use? Oil based or water based? If it is near an open fire or heating source, it might be best to use heat resistant paint. You could try filling the cracks if a basic sanding down doesn't work.

HI Madder,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't actually paint it as it was prefinished, but yes is over an electric fire which gets occasional use in the winter.

I may try sanding as you say but want to be sure that the finish will not suffer if I paint over the existing finish.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you could test the water by sanding and painting over an inconspicuous area first?(if possible) A side of the mantlepiece for example?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back