Rustic Metal Appearance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am working on a project which is building a clothes/shoe rack. Part of the design uses some 1" black pipe and the intention is to look 'rustic'.

I bought and ordered some pipe and when it arrived it was red!!

View media item 74238
I contacted the person I bought it off and was told 'thats the way they come now. Just stick some Hammerite on it.' I was disappointed as I sent the following photo to them initially when i was searching for it...

View media item 74239
Anyway, I am now wondering (and seeking all your advice) as to what I need to do to get to look like I want.

I have looked at hammerite paints and thought the 'Hammerite Aerosol Spray Paint Black' might do the trick but it comes 'satin', 'smooth' or 'hammered' and they don't sound like they will leave a rustic look?

Can anyone advise the best method to get the finish i want? I would really appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Strip all the paint off and then leave it out in the rain! Smother it in salty water to do it even quicker.

Nozzle

Thanks for the reply.

How do you recommend i strip it - it doesn't seem like its painted red, rather red is the finished colour?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back