sanded Artex - in trouble?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I recently bought a 3-bed Victorian semi-detached, with Artex-covered ceilings (the swirly pattern) on nearly all the ceilings.

I don't live there currently and have got some guys working on the plastering.

Their plan was to skim (and presumably bond first) the Artex - but having visited the site yesterday, they've sanded quite a lot of the ceiling first. The house's decor is pretty old (some it from the 60s) so I'm worried re Artex and asbestos.

Any idea how I should proceed?

Best

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for this guys.

The damage is done as it were, the guys on site didn't seemed fussed about the possible asbestos. I've asked them to wear masks, I'm not on site so can't supervise beyond that.

Are there health risks to other people visiting the house, after the dust has settled (literally)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a risk to anyone's health when it comes to asbestos fibres but you have to remember that it was white asbestos (chrysotile) that was used in Artex which is the least dangerous. In some cases the asbestos fibres would be added to the mix by hand by the Artexers and the amount of fibres in Artex are relatively low - I seem to recall it being less than 2%. That said, I still wouldn't like to be breathing in the dust now that we know how dangerous asbestos is.

Get them to clean up all the dust before they leave, mopping if at all possible (the water stops the fibres flying around in the air), but if you still feel unsure then you could call an asbestos removal company in to double check. It's probably unnecessary though, if you consider the number of properties that have had the same situation where people have just cleared up, completely unaware that there is any danger at all.

When you say they sanded, do you mean they actually sanded the ceiling or just knocked off the high spots with a scraper? If the latter, then the risk is even lower.

I used to worry about it in our new house (1978) but everyone I spoke to and especially joiners who work with it a lot didn't seem overly concerned. Said if it was a worry to him he wouldn't be doing what he did for a job.

May be lower risk than blue or brown but I still wouldn't want my kids breathing it in because some builder wasn't bothered about it himself.

Get the test done and at least you can take the advice from the company on the best thing to do, fingers crossed it's OK and all will be well, but at least you will know where you stand rather than having uncertanty.

Hope all goes well.

Once all the work is completed and before you move in, have the house professionally cleaned.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back