Solvent Based Undercoat Dilution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi-I have moved to a, "new", property and decorating the rooms was no problems apart from one which was presumably used for indoor BBQ's or pipe smoking lol. I have used sugar soap to wash all the walls and ceiling and then filled, sanded and wiped down with white spirit. My intention thereafter is to use Dulux trade white solvent based undercoat on the walls and ceiling from the local Dulux trade shop. I have 2.5lts which I intend adding to a clean and dry empty 5lt tin along with 375ml of white spirit (i.e. 15%) prior to rolling on the walls and ceiling. Might do two coats dependent on coverage. Thereafter two coats of matt Dulux Daffodil White. The room is for our newborn, so any and all ideas would be appreciated. The wee one will be away when using the solvent based re VOC's etc. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would never go higher than 10%... Like joe said somewhere between 5 and 8% is probably the best option.

I wouldn't go any where near oil based if a new born is going to be sleeping in there, the stink is bad enough just on the trim but to do walls and ceilings it will stink for weeks. It has been proven that young children can have severe resparitory problems from paint fumes. If we are talking weeks before the child sleeps in the room fair enough but don't allow the baby to sleep in the room until you're sure the smell has gone.

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks joe-90, ryanhirst and dcdec for taking the time to respond.
joe-90, ryanhirst I will use the percentage suggested and thanks.

dcdec Firstly a big thanks for the input re using the solvent based undercoat wrt long term issues re VOC's. The little one will not be in the room for two months. Maybe I should just do the ceiling in undercoat and then matt emulsion on the other walls and see if there is bleed through. You have got me thinking now re using the solvent based undercoat and clearly don't want to harm our little bundle. Mmmm. Any further suggestions would naturally be greatly appreciated.

Hi and thanks joe-90, ryanhirst and dcdec for taking the time to respond.
joe-90, ryanhirst I will use the percentage suggested and thanks.

dcdec Firstly a big thanks for the input re using the solvent based undercoat wrt long term issues re VOC's. The little one will not be in the room for two months. Maybe I should just do the ceiling in undercoat and then matt emulsion on the other walls and see if there is bleed through. You have got me thinking now re using the solvent based undercoat and clearly don't want to harm our little bundle. Mmmm. Any further suggestions would naturally be greatly appreciated.

Another alternative would be to use Zinsser BIN. Two coats should suffice, You can get it tinted (roughly) to the colour that you want. It is only available in a white base rather than pale. Being alcohol based it does smell whilst you work with it but as the paint dries the smell disappears. It should be rcoatable after about an hour and it cures completely in about 3 days. It will be far more durable than any waterbased finish but will be slightly shinier than matt emulsion.

Solvent based undercoat releases solvent for months. It will also slow the rate at which the emulsion dries.

The only downsides are that it can dry too quickly to brush but you can roll it, and it costs more than UC plus emulsion.

Hi opps
Thanks for responding. So instead of using solvent based undercoat, just do the whole room in Zissner BIN (maybe 2 coats) and then finish over with 2 coats of the Dulux Daffodil White that we have purchased? Thanks

Hi opps
Thanks for responding. So instead of using solvent based undercoat, just do the whole room in Zissner BIN (maybe 2 coats) and then finish over with 2 coats of the Dulux Daffodil White that we have purchased? Thanks

Ahhh... no I was suggesting BIN instead of the emulsion. You could still use BIn as the base coat if you wanted, and as it is white (not brilliant white though) you could use it on the ceiling.

One coat on the walls should suffice

I didn't realise that you had already purchased the emulsion.

Zinsser do have other sealers such as Cover-Stain and All-Coat which are re-coatable after an hour or two, the former is solvent based the later water based.

I recommended Zinsser because I once made the mistake of using oil based dead flat oil on my lounge walls once and it stank for ages, enough to make my eyes water for a couple of days. I was glad to get out of the house each day to go to work (and, errr. apply oil based paint to "stuff")

I'm glad you came back to the post Bammer as i was a bit worried about your child sleeping in the room shortly after decoration. Opps makes a good shout with the bin its excellent on nicotine stains, it does stink to high heaven and when doing large areas use a mask and have windows wide open. The smell does dissipate quickly though. Roll as much as you can and cut in quickly and don't try brushing it out too much.

The only other thing that crosses my mind is zinsser 123 plus, i havn't used it but it is water based, the zinsser website says its ok for smoke stains but doesn't say anything about nicotine. Again as opps suggests coverstain is good and you should find it easier to use but it is solvent based.

Because of the options you've got it might be worth talking to zinnser and explaining your situation and just confirm with them your concerns over VOC's.
Hope it goes well and congrats on the nipper!

http://www.zinsseruk.com/contact/

Hi and again many thanks opps and dcdec-the information was very informative as was the technique re rolling and cutting in etc. The wee one says, "gggggrrrrrrr", which I am sure in his language says, "ta", for the congratulations and the advice.

I managed to get a credit at the Dulux Trade Centre re the solvent based undercoat and replaced it with Dulux Trade Stain Block+ as it is water based and there wasn't anything on the shelf re Zinsser 123. Worst case scenario is that I will be out again sooner rather than later with the roller lol. At least myself and the good lady have piece of mind.

Once again, many thanks for all the information and for taking the time to answer my concerns.

I know that it may be a tad early but, "Merry Christmas 2012 To You And Yours." Regards from the wee one :D

I've never tried it but I've heard that smooth masonry paint makes a good stain block. Cheap too.

Might be a little late to post on this thread, but Zinsser 123 water based is pretty good but often needs an extra coat to seal stains in my experience. It dries so quickly that a second coat can be put on within a couple of hours -
Zinsser BIN is awful stuff to work with as it truly STINKS but it does the job really well, but leaves me reeling with red and watering eyes for hours.

Their help desk is worth contacting with any questions and they may still have a few copies of a booklet that they used to post out free which explains what product does what job..

BTW I find the Dulux decorator centre to be expensive unless you have an account. By way of an example Dawes Paints in Hammersmith charges £25 for 2.5L of Dulux trade OB eggshell, the DDC 20 metres away charge something like £35. To be fair Dawes Paints are cheaper than anyone else I know of (only for Dulux though). If anyone is in west London they will deliver.

Hi and thanks opps, joe-90 and stevewestern together with everyone else. Your input was very much appreciated. I have applied two coats of stain block+ and seems to have done the biz. Mind you it does have an unusal texture compared to flat. Nonetheless, onwards and upwards lol. Again, many thanks and I know where to come when I get stuck (often). Regards and thanks from the, "wee man"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back