sticky primer on staircase - help me identify it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently stripped my 1950s pine staircase and all was going well until I got to the grain. At this layer there seems to be a milky/chalky substance on the wood which will not budge no matter what I try to remove it. So far I have tried soda crystals, hot water, cellulose thinners and normal paint stripper. Please please please can some kindly help me identify it and let me know what product will remove it (chemical or otherwise). Here is a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qh0ww5xq65i8e3/20140813_152708.jpg

The best way to describe it is that it looks like porridge/weetabix.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
White spirit or meths?

If you'd not said 1950's stair case, and I looked only at the photo, it looks a bit like two pack (polyester) filler, wood coloured. But that stuff is tough - is what you have flexible or soft?

Nozzle

Hi Nozzle, thanks for your swift reply.

Forgot to mention that I've tried meths too but not white spirit yet.

It is quite soft and flaky when I scrape it in clumps together. When it is like that, I can simply peel it off. It seems to respond well to water and turns the water a milky colour but then when it dries I am left with the chalky sheen. Here is another photo of the flakes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qfb7zrcvaftsw5/20140813_155530.jpg

Does it sand off ok? It almost looks like an old glue the way it's coming off.

Sponsored Links
I think it would sand off ok but there is a lot to do and I wanted to find an easier solution if there was one. Please note that the first photo is the remnant of washing with water and a scourer. It seems to respond better to water but no matter how many times I try to scrub it off, it always dries with this finish

but no matter how many times I try to scrub it off, it always dries with this finish

Well, you've asked for an easy solution which is sanding, and you've already spent a considerable amount of time trying to scrub it off. To me sanding once and for all is probably the best way.

However, as you're still trying to find out what it is then you could try wire wool and something like white spirit next as I suspect you may have some sort of wax or polish on there. If it works, then you need to wipe off the wax before it dries again with a clean, dry cloth and you keep doing this until all the wax has gone. It's a horrible, smelly job if it's wax.

Update: I now believe this is some sort of old wood adhesive as it seems to come off with a scourer and water but the downside is that some of the wood grain also comes out with it.

Is there anything that might dissolve it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back