Strange paint cracking effect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone ever came across paint going like this.

Previously the wall was papered which was steamed off and the the wall washed down with sugar soap. They were then sanded and a water down coat of white vinyl silk applied followed by 3 coats of red mid sheen. Decided the colour didn't suit so....

Walls then resanded and 3 coats of Johnston's acrylic matt applied which went like the effect in the picture. Resanded and applied 2 coats of Johnston's preacrylic primer.

Another 3 coats Johnstone acrylic matt and back to the same effect after a few weeks.

At this stage i'm out of paint, sandpaper and ideas! Anyone any thoughts on what might give me a good base to start again from. By the way its a full wall gone like this and not just a small patch within it.

Albums Link: //www.diynot.com/network/mark300/albums/

Sponsored Links
Its a common problem associated with painting a matt paint over a silk paint.
Prep wise you have to thoroughly sand it to take all the sheen off.

Next step would be to put a coat of zinsser gardz or peel stop over it then give a coat of vinyl matt and see how its looking. If some of the cracks have been filled by the paint and disappeared then subsequent coats should get rid of the cracking entirely. If the cracking is still bad you will need something with a higher film build, coverstain perhaps

Follow advice above.

Would also like to add, you mentioned applying watered down vinyl silk. Was this because of bare plaster? If so then in future you need to use Matt emulsion instead.

Guys, thanks very much for the quick reply. Sorry for not getting back to u but my Internet's been on the blink!

Think I slightly mixed up the sequence here. The white was put on to kill the red before putting the first three coats of the acrylic matt cream.

Just so I don't waste another pile of time and paint do you think applying a coat of the zinsser gardz or peel stop to the wall now without having to sand it all back to the red would work before repainting with the acrylic matt?

Sponsored Links
looks rather cool as it is, I gotta say :)

I might try to get that effect deliberately when comes the time to decorate my place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back