Strange paint marks appearing on ceiling....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had these weird spots appear of late on our en-suite ceiling. Looks like the previous coat is coming through, could this be the problem here ? or could this be damp or something severe ?

22092011830.jpg

22092011832-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like damp/mould, before you can treat it you will first have to establish where the lngress of water is coming from and then provide a cure.

It could be high humidity/condensation that is causing your problem, do you have adequate ventilation????

Dec

thedec is right it looks like mould. could be condensation caused by the warm air hitting a cold spot. is the ceiling on the top floor as i have come across a lot of ceilings that have cold spots due to the insulation above being moved around or just lack of insulation above. also have you got good ventilation in the bathroom i.e fan, air bricks or trickle vents on the windows. again as thedec says find the cause before doing anything else. try posting on the building forum for more possible causes of mould.

sorry thedec just noticed the rest of your post!!!

Sponsored Links
thedec did you find some of my posts on the electrical forum beneficial? i have noticed that you have thanked me on a couple.

Its a bungalow, so yes, its the top floor ! Funny that, the spot lights in the same ceiling regularly go out then come back on shortly after, like a dimming effect. There is an extractor fan and a window that we open when showering. Could the fan be broke ?

The actual cause of your problem is something that only you can determine, when you have done apply an anti fungicidal wash to the affected areas and when dry apply one coat of an Alkali Resisting Primer prior to further painting.

Dec

I think I have found the root cause of this, I went up into the loft, peeled back the insulation and there it was, a detatched extractor pipe free from its connecting housing, also a fried dimming unit on a spot light (hence the off and on light problem !)

Here is what the light should look like:
11102011864.jpg

And here is the one thats malfunctioned:
11102011862.jpg

Also, this is the extractor fan from the loft:
11102011867.jpg

I think I need to open up a new topic in the sparkys forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back