thin Sadolin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just purchase 5 lt of Sadolin Burma teak Extra from ebay. The can says will cover in two coats , but I have now used six coats and it is still not covering , It is only a fence I am painting . Where am I going wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Obvious questions;

Have you stirred it?

Was the fence previously treated?

If the fence was treated before, were there some bare bits that were a very obvious different colour to the existing stain?

Wouldn't really recommend Sadolin (if it's the glossy stuff I think it is) on fences usually.

What type of fence is it?

6 coats? How big is the fence?

Hi, Yes stirred the can, Stained the wood , then applied the Sadolin.
The fence is planed smooth picket slates about 20 feet long plus a gate . I have noticed that even after a week when I rub it down the paint is still quite soft .
As I said even after six coats there is still no deep finish to it.
Many thanks for your reply and advice

Sadolin Extra is a top coat. I think you should have applied a coat or two of Sadolin Classic first.
But it won't build up to a thick finish like paint. It stays thin and translucent. It's pretty good stuff though - easy to recoat once it starts getting flaky. I bought 2.5 L of Classic and 2.5 L Extra from the Crown place - over £60 for both!

Sponsored Links
One other possibility that comes to mind is that the old finish is a wax one like Ducksback preventing the stain from penetrating.

Just re-read your post - why did you stain it first, and what did you stain it with? The Sadolin itself is a stain, so perhaps trying to overcoat a stain with Sadolin is the main problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back