Too Late? Painted on new plaster and not watered down!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum painted onto new plaster and didnt water down, the paint she used was Wickes Matt white. Can anyone give me some advice as to weather this is going to cause problems in the future? As I have always been told to water down. Thanks

Sponsored Links
She might be lucky. It's always a good idea to water it down but doesn't always spell disaster.

either it will fall off, or it won't. If papered over in future it is more likely to come off in patches when the paper is subsequently stripped.

Because the plaster will have sucked moisture from the paint it may become brittle and could crack and loosen when another coat is rolled on.

I wonder if a penetrating primer would help in this situation?, something like zinsser gardz? They say it will penetrate builders flat paints but i suppose thats because of little to no vinyl content, i'd wonder if it could actually go through a vinyl matt? I think it could at least bind the surface down a bit. Might be worth giving zinsser a ring, but be interested in what the regulars here think

Sponsored Links
My Mum painted onto new plaster and didnt water down, the paint she used was Wickes Matt white. Can anyone give me some advice as to weather this is going to cause problems in the future? As I have always been told to water down. Thanks

I'd like to congratulate your Mum on painting her new plaster and wish her a good Christmas and a healthy, worry free, forthcoming year.

ive replaced 2 ceiling in my house and never waterd down the 1st coat of paint, and ive had no problems. i thought the water down thing was for tight people who didnt want to waste paint.

My partner and i have just finished emulsioning are newly plasterd kitchen,in kitchen and bathroom emulsion. We gave it a base coat of white matt emulsion first,like your mum we didn't we didn't water it down. We now have a small area that as bubbled and flaking off,we have tried rubbing it down and applying stain block-but this as not worked it as happened again....we would be grateful of any advice how to sort this out :(

Thankyou

try applying matt emulsion thinned with water. This helps it soak in, instead of lying on the surface, and so improves adhesion.

make sure all dust is sponged off the surface after preparing and before applying.

Never put PVA on a wall you hope to paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back