Tough paint removal. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. First of I would just like to say I have plenty of experience stripping paint but in this case my usual techniques are failing me and I could use a little advice.

Recently purchased my first house, an 1974 ex local authority property.
Decided I wanted to return the hall/stairway to the wood and stain it to match my flooring. Being poor I decided to reuse what I have rather than purchase new timber

Door frames, checks, hand rails, balusters, skirting etc.
All removed, heat gun and shave hook did most of the work. Quick blast with some p80 on the belt sander then hand p80, p120 and p180 has given me a desirable enough finish pre stain/varnish.

However the stairs are proving a challenge. The top layers off gloss, as with the other wood came off without issue. However the bottom layer ( painted directly on the wood by renfrewshire council in 1974) is incredible stubborn.
The belt sander took this off no problem and can be used to do a large area of the treads, but is simply impractical for the edges and risers and on the inside if the strings.

The heat gun will soften it a little but will not bubble and scrape off.

I tried cheap paint stripped which seemed to take a layer off but a lot still remained. I moved to NitroMors wich was quicker and removed a little more but not enough to clean with steel wool.

Other than spending hours with p80 rubbing my fingers to the bone I'm stumped. Anyone have any little tricks or advise to ease such a laborious job?

**EDIT**
I had also forgot to mention that the stairs had been painted only down the edge of the treads and risers 8"-10" and the runner down the middle has been varnished. In the one stair I have managed to clean completely, the varnish has left a shadow on the stair. No amount of paint stripper and sanding seems to make a diffirence.

Thanks?

1st image is as it was around a week ago
2nd is how it was just as I lifted the carpet.

Sponsored Links
I feel your pain; I recently had the idea of re-using existing timber, and I wish I'd never started. Still, it's all experience.

Once you've heat-gunned most of the paint, which should really bubble up (how hot is your gun?), and you've used a belt/orbital, you're down to stripper and sore fingers. I think that paint stripper is filth, and detail sanders are pretty useless.

It's probably cheaper to replace the wood, especially when you factor in time/materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back