uneven walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a white MDF skirting board in a room that was recently plastered.
The plasterer did a great job working with the uneven walls but the problem persists nonetheless.

There are up to 5mm gaps on internal and external mitred corners, there are up to 5mm gaps behind the skirting board and also on top of it where it meets the wall.

I need to stress that the problem is not the skirting board or my carpentry skills but the god awful walls.

What would you suggest I use to fill the gaps? I would imagine something flexible like decorators caulk to prevent cracking, but is there anything better?

I don't want the finished job to show that there were once gaps. I want a nice seamless finish.

Also, what paint would you suggest I use on the boards?

Sponsored Links
What would you suggest I use to fill the gaps? I would imagine something flexible like decorators caulk to prevent cracking, but is there anything better?
Exactly what we used. Same here, in an old Victorian house and very uneven walls inside.
External, you could use external polyfilla/woodfiller if that's more suitable?

Paint on the skirting boards, whatever you like really. Water based paint I find a git to use but it stays white. Oil based paint is more hard wearing and forgiving, but yellows in time. It's also harder to get hold of in the shops.

Exactly what we used. Same here, in an old Victorian house and very uneven walls inside.
External, you could use external polyfilla/woodfiller if that's more suitable?

Paint on the skirting boards, whatever you like really. Water based paint I find a git to use but it stays white. Oil based paint is more hard wearing and forgiving, but yellows in time. It's also harder to get hold of in the shops.

Will the caulk disappear once painted over? Does it blend in well with the white primed mdf board?

Sponsored Links
Sure, it blends coz you're painting it the same colour as the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back