updating kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know where i can buy just the doors for reasonable prices?

there is nothing wrong with the carcases, just the doors are looking a bit dated now, and the kitchen layout is already at its optimum and works for us, so just want to give the kitchen a refresh.

have been to wickes and b&q and i find them a bit expensive, and they dont do the range of sizes, they do most but i have a couple of sizes that they dont seem to do.

although they do, do them in the relevent sizes if i bought one of there complete fitted kitchens, surprise surprise :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Well, the only way of getting doors and drawer fronts which will fit exactly is probably to get more Moben ones, but I suspect they will be quite expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/moben-kitchen-doors

You can, however, give tired-looking cabinets a new lease of life by painting them - even employing a decorator to do it would be cheaper than the alternative (buying new doors and having them fitted).

If you can put the paint on yourself, it is a very inexpensive way of getting a new-looking kitchen. There are some really good cupboard door paints around these days - International Cupboard Paints are excellent, or you could use Little Greene eggshell - both would look really good. With this option you would also have a much greater choice of colour than if you tried to source spare doors.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks. Was hoping I could replace the doors as I don't like the current design and there old. I am a competent diy er so am sure I could make almost any door fit providing I can the right sizes.

We have thought about painting them. So will try that first, see if it looks ok. Its just the design is so mid nineties and looks awful IMO

Thanks. Was hoping I could replace the doors as I don't like the current design and there old. I am a competent diy er so am sure I could make almost any door fit providing I can the right sizes.

We have thought about painting them. So will try that first, see if it looks ok. Its just the design is so mid nineties and looks awful IMO

Thanks for the photo. More 80s than mid 90s, I'd say! That mock-teak effect is truly awful, isn't it. Yours don't sound so bad if they are off white, although I can imagine they look a bit dreary.

If you were to paint them a light duck egg blue, a light Wedgewood blue, a light sage green or any colour in that tonal range, they would look 100 times better and the routing would not be nearly so noticeable. Definitely worth trying it on one door before your rush off and spend a fortune on new ones?

Aha perfect idea will try that first.

Thank you very much I has a complete design blank earlier

Aha perfect idea will try that first.

Thank you very much I has a complete design blank earlier

Ha, I'm glad it's not just me. I paid someone once to come and tell me what colours to decorate my sitting room with... and she suggested exactly the same 3 colours as I had come up with (before I had a bit of a confidence crisis about it and rang her!).

If the kitchen cabinates are laminate whats the best way to go about updating them without replacing the doors?

If the kitchen cabinates are laminate whats the best way to go about updating them without replacing the doors?

I ended up getting some Zinsser perma-white http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/perma-white-interior/

works a treat, I used a gloss roller to put it on the cupboard doors, the Zinsser sticks to everything and is extremely hard wearing, and is scrubbable just like it says on the tin without peeling off.

you can also tint it into soft pastel colours if need be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back