Using a roller to apply gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am shortly to repaint a number of plain flush panel internal doors. The present gloss has been very well sanded then washed with sugar soap solution and properly rinsed. I want to apply Crown Solo brilliant white. Normally I use a 3 or 4 inch brush and with a bit of care can produce a good final result. But it does take me a long time to get the finish I want. So, I was wondering about trying a roller and hopefully speed things up a little. Is this a good idea for a plain flat surface? Or is it best to stick with a brush? Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If they are just flush doors it can be quicker using a foam roller and use a brush to lay off. Have used this technique before with good results! ;)

Obviously quicker with a roller.

As vibro said, lay off with a brush after the paint has been applied for good results.

I've found that a microfibre roller gives good results for this (rather than those nasty little sponge ones which leave a texture like cellulite).

Sponsored Links
Foe emulsioning walls then yes but would not advise the use of this 9" roller on gloss work.

Clearly!

The post was aimed at emily as she clearly works in the trade.

Obviously the size of the roller is selected dependant on what is to be painted. Think the op will be fully aware of this elrobbo ;)

Your post did not state who it was aimed at and in fact for what reason.

Well maybe one should ask rather than assume if your unsure. Oh well, at least I have informed you of my intentions regarding the content of my last post, heres a reminder if it is not clear:

The post was aimed at emily as she clearly works in the trade.

As the OP is asking advice for glossing doors it would probably be worth sticking to this and maybe starting your own post to discuss the benefits of the product you have mentioned, as it has no place in using it with gloss or on doors!

Sorry, It seems I have clearly upset you. It was not intentionally.

I mean you certainly have 'never' taken any topic away slightly from the original question have you? (hint: think very hard before answering?)

PS. I'm sorry if I have offended or upset you. Please don't go back to your old ways elrobbo :eek:

Sorry, It seems I have clearly upset you. It was not intentionally.

Don't be sorry you have not upset me I was merely pointing out that your post was not relevant to the OP and could not understand who you were referring to and why.

To be honest I still don't understand what
means as it just seems out of the blue and what you were advising that emily is to try it on as there is no reference.

Maybe emily being in the trade will probably be more versed in understanding it than myself. I was just giving the op advise on what looked like poor advise posted in the regard that your post was not clear and could easily have been misinterpreted by the OP just like I have misinterpreted it! ;)

Back to the OP
Using the mini rollers is ideal for speed and if layed off with a brush the finish can be pretty good too. The Anzer rollers I have provided the link for are available in B&Q as well!

Grow up!

Here you go again picking an argument for the fun of it and even when someone gives you an explanation you still try to pick fault because it's not the answer you want.

I have been a member of this forum for a long time and wish to remain a member. You however are now on your forth user name.

'elrobbo, elrobbo82, ????spark, and now vibrobullit407. It's ridiculous!

I refuse to engage in you games anymore and will not post on this topic again.

Play your games with someone else.

Just to confirm your game playing you hae now edited out your post that was an attack on my comment! unbelievable

Grow up!

Here you go again picking an argument for the fun of it and even when someone gives you an explanation you still try to pick fault because it's not the answer you want.

I have been a member of this forum for a long time and wish to remain a member. You however are now on your forth user name.

'elrobbo, elrobbo82, ????spark, and now vibrobullit407. It's ridiculous!

I refuse to engage in you games anymore and will not post on this topic again.

Play your games with someone else.

tut tut :eek:

All I did was point out that your post was confusing and that it was easily misinterpreted. No need for the accusations or to be upset. Don't feel that I am trying to argue or play games I have merely been putting my opinion across. Don't take it to heart.

I have also stated that I must have misinterpreted you post and you have came back with the post above. Think I know who needs to grow up! :rolleyes:

I too will now not be posting on this thread any more!

For what it's worth I thought it confusing that RMS sent a link intended for a fellow forum member and not for the op. Perhaps some indication such as a quote may have made things clearer. Why is RMS determined to give vibro grief at every opportunity. My topic entitled tossers which was deleted springs to mind.

Why is RMS determined to give vibro grief at every opportunity. My topic entitled t*****s which was deleted springs to mind.

I don't know what's going on with them, but the Decorating Forum is becoming as bad as GD. It must be making members with genuine questions think twice about asking.

If people have a problem with each other they should sort it out with private messaging instead of subjecting other members to their petty squabbles. :mad:

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I have spent much of today glossing my eleven flush doors using a sponge roller and then laying off with a decent quality 3" brush. I have to say that once I'd got the hang of loading the roller with just the right amount of paint the job went swimmingly well. So, thank you all again.
I am most sorry to have caused a little disquiet among the forum members; my query was a genuine one and I received very knowledgeable replies for which I am most grateful. It disappoints me however to know that in seeking guidance I inadvertantly caused disagreement among members. Sorry lads, but thank you all for your contributions. Kind regards to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back