Wallpaper and plasterboard issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello forum,

I have just stripped the wallpaper in my Dad's house, it's been up for over 15 years, and when it was put up the walls were not sealed before papering. Now I've removed the paper the plasterboard is all fluffy and full of holes, I've been as careful as I can not to damage the walls, but removing textured paper has been a nightmare.

I can't afford to get a platerer in to skim all the walls so I am looking for advice on how to get a good enough finish before I put up lining paper. Would 1200 grade pretty much cover any blemishes on the walls?

Can I sand the walls with a sander and a low grade paper?

Any advice would be really really appreciated.

Images are loaded into my album.

Many thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
The 3 Pics you uploaded.. still have paper on the walls.. so you cant see the state of the walls / plaster... or are they not the current pictures? Are you using a steamer?

I'm in process of removing the bits of paper, I'm worried as when I go further it takes the brown layer of paper off which I think is the board lining coming off. I was using a steamer but stopped as it was soaking the board to much.

ok, I think I understand - the wallpaper was put straight onto the unsealed / unpainted plasterboard all those years ago. Sorry from what I've read this can be a big problem.. and you will need the walls skimmed as you won't be able to get it off cleanly

I hope someone else can disagree and tell you how to do it!

Sponsored Links
I think you should just make sure you CAN afford to get it skimmed, and forget the lining paper...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back