Wallpapering external corner (chimney breast)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am planning to wallpaper over the weekend and first job will be a chimney breast. So steps taken so far are as follows:

1. Measured chimney Breast front
2. Draw a plum line so the the 1st wallpaper piece will be straight and in the middle of the chimney breast.

PROBLEM;
So when measuring there is 2 pieces of wallpaer from the middle then a 5cm gap from front of the external corner of the chimney. then has a 31cm run to internal corner where the wallpaper needs to finish.

So options are
1. A full piece of wallpaper will fit around the corner and to finishing point. so as it doesnt need to be plumb as it will completely cover both internal and up to finishing point . can i wrap the full piece around.

2. Use a double cut technique.

Or
3. Any other alternatives

Paper is heavily patterned so would like it to match

52cm width wallpaper
5 cm till external corner then a 31cm (full side of the chimey) till wallpaper will finish butt the the internal corner where it will finish.

Thanking you for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Personnally I tend to measure to the middle of the feature wall , ie fireplace, then the middle width of the wallpaper, so that the wallpaper spans equally the plumb line both sides,

having a centre line down the finished product looks a bit DIY, ( hope that makes sense)

Joins should be done on the internal side of corners, you can then lose pattern match due to corners not being straight,that way

always come out of a corner using a plumb line/ straight edge to ensure the wallpaper is running true.

Sorry that exactly how I am starting with the piece dead in the middle.

So you would advise to cut the price and rejoin if I am understanding correctly. Even in the piece would only be a 30cm run to the end of where it need to be finished

as you are going to end up with 30 cm to internal corner it depends how wide the reveal wall of the fire place is,
as the corner will not be plumb, to hang a full sheet width could mean creases and loss of pattern on the internal reveal side what you are aiming to do is to ensure you come out of the internal corner plumb for the next sheet, or are you intending to paint that wall.

Sponsored Links
The wall finishes and we painting the other walls as only having a feture wallpaper chimney breast. So the 30cm wall is the side of the chimey Breast and then it will be a conrner with a painted wall.

If the internal wall is only 30cm you shouldnt have too much trouble taking the paper around the corner

I always feel confused when people start a query with 'So...'

It sounds as though you've missed the first half of the message.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back