Water Based Gloss - Johnstones Aqua -vs- Dulux Ecosure??

Thank you for not getting the wrong end of the stick with my post. So many would've.
You don't need an expensive knotting compound-primer combined, as the wood has already been painted at least once in the past. It's only new wood with untreated knots which needs knotting compound.
And here we have the bit where my confusion was.

I thought any knot would need to be treated, regardless of whether it had been previously painted or not, if it had been sanded back to bare wood.
The door frame for example - when heat gunning that, you could see it weeping from the knots.

That is why i thought the knot treatment was required. I didn't know it was only for brand spanking wood that had never seen paint before.

Apologies.

Sponsored Links
If you have stripped paint back to the bare wood then knotting solution will need to be applied before the primer.

Avoid the Ronseal stuff as it doesn't work - I'll upload a few images so you can see for yourself. Use a shellac based knotting compound (or maybe Zinsser B-I-N), then your primer, undercoat and topcoat...or whichever you decide you to use.

EDIT: Ronseal Knot Block on doors finished with oil based eggshell 6 months on:

Ouch!! That looks horrible.

Thanks for the tip. Interesting one too - it gets good star rating on the B&Q website. I take those rating things with a pinch of salt, but i do still see what they say.

I guess you gets what you pays for.

Like any debate on the tinterweb, i suppose you'll have those arguing both sides.
I think from where i'm at & how i've had enough of making errors so far, i'd rather spend £xx on a knotting treatment & cover bases, even if it was that i didn't need to (guess i wouldn't know unless i didn't use it), than to not use the treatment, paint up & x-months down the line regret it.

Sponsored Links
Ouch!! That looks horrible.

Thanks for the tip. Interesting one too - it gets good star rating on the B&Q website. I take those rating things with a pinch of salt, but i do still see what they say.

I guess you gets what you pays for.

Like any debate on the tinterweb, i suppose you'll have those arguing both sides.
I think from where i'm at & how i've had enough of making errors so far, i'd rather spend £xx on a knotting treatment & cover bases, even if it was that i didn't need to (guess i wouldn't know unless i didn't use it), than to not use the treatment, paint up & x-months down the line regret it.

Definitely. If you saw sap coming out of the wood after stripping it, that would suggest it had not been treated in the first place, but either way, best be on the safe side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back