What to do about wires when repainting skirting boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm pretty new to this DIY business and would really like some advice on this.

I'm decorating my front room and the skirting board has two wires clipped in with metal hoops for the sky and phone line.

I want to repaint it but i'm not sure what to do?

Should i sand and repaint over the wires? not very neat...

or should i remove the wires, sand, repaint and then refit the wires?
If so how to remove the wires and how to get them back in so neatly as I think the fitter used a special gun to tack it to the wall.

Yours with thanks

Jane

Sponsored Links
To remove and replace you would require some side cutters and pliers, the clips are very similar to a staple and they use a staple like gun/tacker to fit.
So if you do not have access to these tools it is going to cost money for something you may only ever use once.
That's the problem with the likes of BT, Virgin and Sky installers, they don't care where the cables go. I insist when they have done properties for me that there is no clipping on skirting, architraves or around doors etc..

A painter would usually paint over the cables to blend them in with the skirting board, unless asked to do otherwise.

An electrician would set about trying to conceal the wires, under the floor is there are floorboards. Plastic mini trunking as a last resort.

Thanks guys, that is kind of what I thought.
I think my preference would be to move them but as they are data wires i'm not sure they'll be enough give in them.
Will have to give it a further look.
Defo liking the "please don't staple any wires to my skirting option for future"!

Thanks again
Jane x

Sponsored Links
hippyminky, this is a common problem with wires added after major works when they could have been hidden away.

Do you have carpet? I discussed this with a carpet fitter some while ago and he said to remove the skirting wire, then lift the edge of the carpet and refit the wire using small cable clips, close to the edge of the carpet underlay, BUT before the gripper. This enables carpet to be refitted, but without any chance of the wire being snagged by a carpet knife or the fitting chisel.

Another alternative is to use a small amount of painters caulk and run it along the edge of the wire and lose the 'look' of wire. Then paint over it as the wire will never be used again for anything else.

Just paint them and forget them, you've got wires all over your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back