Which paint brand? Is valspar really just snake oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To Valspar, Delux, or to Crown? So many reviews and and so many different opinions.

I'm looking to paint my house which has been renovated. All walls are freshly plastered and have a prime coat applied. Same with ceilings.

I'm thinking a white silk for the ceilings, and a satinwood for the coving and woodwork. For the walls, I like matt paint, but am unsure about its durability in high use areas like stairs and kitchen. I've recently seen the valspar products that sell themselves on this point, but the bulk of reviews put this in the snake oil category.

So the question remains, which brand would you professionals use? Ease of application, quality of finish, and durability are the most important factors I assume. I'm not looking for any wild colours, rather a neutral palette, which I am only really seeing a wide selection of in the valspar and dulux ranges.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to do the walls, ceiling, and coving in matt. I think anything else will look terrible, imo.

I'm only thinking about the silk on the wall from a practical standpoint. 3 kids and grubby hands will require the wall to be wiped a few times. You're right on the coving and ceiling though. I just experimented with some silk on a portion of the ceiling. Matt it is.

Sponsored Links
I'm only thinking about the silk on the wall from a practical standpoint. 3 kids and grubby hands will require the wall to be wiped a few times. You're right on the coving and ceiling though. I just experimented with some silk on a portion of the ceiling. Matt it is.
where you have painted the silk give it a bit of a sand before putting Matt over it otherwise you may experience crazing.

I have never experienced painting with the silk, so can't say about that but I always like to prefer to the oil paints because it shines a lot.
--------------------
immobilier neuf Alsace means new real estate in Alsace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back