White, but not brilliant white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any normal matt emulsion whites out there that aren't Brilliant white?

The reason I ask is that I have recentl had to cut a whole in my ceiling to repair a leak behind it. The builders have patched it up okay, but then proceeded to paint the patch with brilliant white and it sticks up like a sore thumb.

The house it about 10 years old. I am not 100% sure the ceilling was painted originally or just left its natural artex colour. Would home builders both to paint the ceiling?

If it is just natural artex colour can I thin down some artex and use it to blend the patch in?

Sponsored Links
Christ don't be lazy - takes 20 mins to paint a whole ceiling.
Contract emulsion isn't as bright.

Paint the hole ceiling.

It can be done without messing up the rest of the room. Keep some clean rag and bucket of water handy.

If there's any brown bits on the ceiling due to the leak these should be primed with stain block or white oil-based undercoat first.

If it's unpainted artex I would say a thinned down emulsion would be needed for the first coat, though some cheap brands of emulsion are so thin these may do the job.

If the patch is in a discreet corner you may get away with touching it up if you buy some test pots of various shades of white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back