Why do you paint emulsion on lining paper before filling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have a builder and his team who are are lining walls for me, 6 rooms in total.
They have lined the walls with a 2mm gap between each sheet and they just started before I stopped them to fill the gaps with filler without putting emulsion on first.

I have read that you have to paint emulsion first before filling and rubbing down, but why is that?

And if these guys have messed up, is there a solution to fix this as I have read people saying leave a small gap and others say but the joints of the paper.

Any help explaining why this is the case would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Its bad practice to do what they are doing, a competent decorator should be able to line a room with butted seams invisible to the eye.
There are two main problems with filling seams.
1. The filler is a different texture to the paper and can be very noticeable when looking down a painted wall.
2. When you go over the filler with a roller it can flex and crack, even more so with the next point.
The paper is porous and will suck the moisture out of the filler, so a thinned coat of emulsion on the area you wish to fill will satisfy the porosity of the paper. The filler will be 'brittle' and is likely to crack as i mentioned if its not primed.

He'd be better off using a non woven LP as there's no expansion or shrinkage, its a bit more idiot proof.

So leaving a 2mm on purpose is not common practice? Or is it just simply wrong and I need to have a word with them?
Sorry I'm now worried the finish will be terrible.

Thank you for the help.

Tom

Just to add fuel to the fire, you will always see joins on paper, no matter how well it's done.

With filler, I would assume its possible to create a virtually invisible join.

I say this with no actual experience of filling the joins.

Sponsored Links
Sure an invisible join can be created but it will often cause the problems i mentioned. I'd say its not common place but there's a lot of people calling themselves decorators that have had no training or knowledge passed to them, so bad practice is increasing in the trade. I can line a room and you won't see the seams, and i don't mean to be arrogant in any way its just the standard i was taught.

As for your builder, i can't condemn a guy without seeing his work, his method may work well for him, my biggest worry would be the change in texture and if its visible once painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back