Woodstain won't dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago I fitted two new internal doors and the OH decided she'd like them painted with a mahogany matt finish wood stain and I must admit they looked great. Anyway,two days ago she asked would I "freshen one of them up" as the stain was wearing a bit thin where you put your hand to swing it shut. So I dug out the now 2 year old tin of woodstain and redid the door (big mistake) but 2 days later it's still tacky and doesn't show any signs of drying.
What do I do next please as I'm now in the doghouse.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the door already had plenty of coats on it before, so this new coat isn't soaking in too quick.

Perhaps you should wait for a week or so.

Apart from it not dried fully, does it look good?

What is the actual brand and type of woodstain?
Did you stir it thoroughly before applying?
Has the worn area you wanted to cover dried better?

Stains containing oils and/or waxes can sometimes just sit on top of the surface if the existing coating has sealed the wood and is still doing the job it is meant to. Otherwise, the stain may have gone off, so may not completely dry, or there could be an issue with humidity in the room so good ventilation or a fan blowing cool air around the door may help.

Sponsored Links
The stain is Johnstone's interior and exterior woodstain and yes the door looks great. The reason for writing was that it's supposed to have a drying time of 3-4 hours so maybe I was a bit presumptuous as this morning the stain is at last starting to dry off. Anyway many thank for the replies. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back