2 lights, one spur, only one light working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!
I have added to an existing spur from the lights circuit. the wires go to the first light, then to a new two gang switch and then to a second light.
The first light works fine, as I have copied the old layout, just replaced the wires. the second light does not work and does not trip the other light when trying to switch it on. I have included a diagram of the set up. can anyone tell me what's wrong with the wiring setup please?

Sponsored Links
Can't really tell by the info given.
Is there a neutral conductor for the second light.
As there does not seem to be one at the switch.
You need a neutral, just because it's blue in colour don't mean its a neutral!
So you either need to loop a neutral in to second light from first light or loop one at the switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. You know I thought it might be that. But rather hope while I breathe, thought I'd better ask people who knew what they were doing :)

If you want to work on your electrics you need to join the ranks of people who know what they are doing...

Yes, two lights. having problems at the switch with regard to bridging the neutral wire. I think the issue may lie in the live passing by the first light, see my diagram. The only wires connecting to the first light are the earth and neutral

Hi

I dont really understand your picture regarding the first and second light fixing. But from what i can work out if it was me i would wire it up as 2 seperate lights but just run 1 switch to them both. ie on your house ring, you'll have 3 wires which i think is identified on the drawing, blue, brown and earth. Id put them into the first light fixing (forget about the switch at the minute) most ceiling fixings have a neutral on one side then a live (for your switched) on the other. plus a bank of 3 in the middle to gang lives together. Now wire your switch into your first light. Live - Live then from your switch go to the live terminal for the actual filament to turn on. Then i would just get some 1.5mm flex (you might be able to use 1mm but id go 1.5 to be on safe side) go from your neutral on the first light to the neutral on the second with the blue wire and go from the switch live on the first light to the switch live on the second light with the brown wire. Obviously dont forget the earths ive left them out for ease of explaining and its still a mouth full. I tried drawing a picture but i couldnt upload it.

mccanno, is not trying to switch both lights on with the same switch, each light has it's own functional switch according to your drawing.
What the op has done is forget to run a neutral to the second light.

mccanno, is not trying to switch both lights on with the same switch, each light has it's own functional switch according to your drawing.

OK, so if I amend the setup as detailed in this drawing, everything should work?
Amendment details. 1. Change the continuous live wire to connect to the first light. 2. Bridge the neutral at the switch, like it is done with the live wire.

Thanks

No that wont work either.
You can do it two ways, either loop in neutral at light or loop in at switch.
The neutral does not go to the switch terminals but permanently terminated, either in connection block at switch or at the neutral terminal at the light.

Or yeah, i see now. Thats why i asked as i didnt really understand the drawing. But for future if you ever want to wire 2 lights to 1 switch. ta da. lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back