2 Way Switch And Upstairs / Downstairs Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched the forums but could not see any posts with the same issue/question.

I have recently replaced the standard white sockets in my house for brushed chrome.

All fine except the downstair/upstairs lighting switch.

Al switches are replaced like for like, apart from one switch which is on the landing and controls the upstairs lights and the downstairs hall lights.

When i removed the old socket (2way) i notice it has a 1 gang swich with a COMMON, L1 and L2 (downstairs lights control) and a INTERMEDIATE switch (upstairs lights control).

The switch i have purchased is a standard 2 way 2 gang.

Now i know that this is the route of my problem.

My question is, can a 2 way 2 gang swtch be made to work as an intermediate, i suspect not.

If it cannot, where do i find such a switch in brushed chrome ?

Many thanks if anybody can help.

Simon

Sponsored Links
No you can not get a two way to work as an intermediate.

You can use an intermediate as a 2 way switch, so have a google for a 2 gang intermediate switch. I know they are available in white, but not sure about brushed chrome.

Failing that you'll need to make up a grid switch with a brushed chrome front plate, yoke, 2 way switch module and an intermediate switch module.

Sponsored Links
Thamks for the replies, i will see if i can find a switch from LAP which is the range i have for the rest of the house.

Thanks

Simon

The OP only mentions two 2-way switches.
Unless there is a third switch the OP hasn't mentioned, there should be no call for an intermediate switch.

OP - Is the intermediate switch wired as an intermediate (all 4 terminals used), or is it an intermediate switch wired as a 2-way switch
(3 of the 4 terminals used)?

The OP has indicated that the upstairs switch is an intermediate plate, but as mentioned above has not confirmed if this actually needs to be an intermediate switch. It could be a case that an intermediate switch has been used where a two way switch would have done.
OP; do you need an intermediate switch, does the landing light have a 3 way switching operation or just a two way?

I sometimes thing that if all switches were INT as standard it would make life easier

Thanks for all your relies.

This is how my hall/landing is wired.

A 3 way 3 gang switch that operates ext light, downstairs lights and upstairs.

I also have an intermediate in the hall which operates just the downstairs.

On the upper landing i have a 2 gang with the switch that operates the upstairs lights as an INTERMEDIATE, the other switch operates the downstairs.

I also have a 1 gang switch furth down the landing operating the upstairs lights only.

All very complicated.....

Thanks

Simon

A 3 way 3 gang switch that operates ext light, downstairs lights and upstairs.
This switch will almost certainly be a 2-way one. That's all you need, anyway.

Logically the only 3-way, aka intermediate, switches you need are the two 1-gang ones, although from a physical cabling POV it might be easier if the 2-gang is also an intermediate. You need to consider which switches have the drop cables

I also have an intermediate in the hall which operates just the downstairs.
As you are doing all these replacements, wouldn't it make sense for this to be a 2-gang, operating the upstairs lights as well, or are new cables not an option?

On the upper landing i have a 2 gang with the switch that operates the upstairs lights as an INTERMEDIATE, the other switch operates the downstairs.
That must be a grid switch, or one which has exchangeable modules if it has both a 2-way and an intermediate.

All very complicated.....
Not very complicated.

Or at least it shouldn't be.

Please study the information in the Wiki on how lighting circuits and switching work - once you actually understand what's going on you'll be in a position to proceed with this job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back