240v IP45 rated extractor fan in Zone 1 - is this bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help as I'm a bit confused about the current regulations. I recently bought an extractor fan to install above the bath / shower. There is an air vent there so I would like to use the existing hole and wire it to the light.

The trouble is that I bought the 230v version online without thinking :oops: and now I have stopped and thought a bit I figured that might be dangerous given the location and am wondering whether to bite the bullet and return it for the 12v SELV version. The other reason I'd rather have the 230v version is that access to the ceiling is very limited so it would be simpler not to have a transformer in the mix.

But... the manufacturer says that because it is rated IP45 and I'm pretty sure my whole house is on a 30mA RCD protected, I'm good. And from what I can see it seems they are right, but my concern is that you could touch the extractor while in the shower so is that a problem?

Here is a link to the manufacturer specs page, I got the SIL100T version:
http://www.envirovent.com/downloads/LOW_silent_100.pdf

Thanks, Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back