240v portable generator - industrial socket to domestic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a honda petrol generator that in my last home was connected to the house circuit and could be used during power cuts - there was a manual switch next to the consumer unit that was used to switch over the circuit to the generator.

The generator only has industrial type 240 v sockets, how can I use this generator to supply some domestic appliances with normal domestic 13 amp type plugs? In my new house I'd still like to be able to use the generator if we have power cuts to power some of the appliances if possible. It's a honda 4 kW so there's plenty power for a couple of appliances in an emergency.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just make up a short extension lead with a male 16A plug to a 13A trailing socket and plug your appliances into that.

The main thing is to ensure the generator and mains never get connected together. Much will depend on house but 4KVA is a reasonable output and to have a 16A radial circuit on a 16A plug and socket so it can be unplugged from mains and plugged into a generator instead would seem the favourite method.

A simple 16A plug connected to a 4 way 13A array of sockets would be another method.

Thanks, I'll probably make up an extension for the short term and consult my electrician about making something a bit more permanent like we had in the last house.

Sponsored Links
Is nobody going to mention widowmakers? :eek:
Don't think so.

nobody

uk.gif

He's not been around for over 4 years.

Is nobody going to mention widowmakers? :eek:

Ok go on then I will my wifes nephew built a den built on legs in his garden and wired a double socket for a TV and that was wired to a socket underneath the den.

So he made up a widowmaker so he could run a extension lead to the den and of course plug it in.

When he showed me what he had done :eek: I said noooooooooo and told him to take the plugs off and explained what could happen if the kids messed with it he was then :eek: lol.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back