3 lights, 2 switches. Can 1 be a dimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

Bit of advice please?

I have two lights in my front room, and 2 switches

A switch controls both lights
B switch controls 1 downstairs light and the light in the hallway

Can I replace the A switch that controls both downstairs lights with a dimmer version? I know I can't have TWO dimmers on the same circuit but does that extend to two dimmer buttons in the same box?

There's loads of info around, but thought explaining my specific situation would help more

Thanks in advance

Simon

Sponsored Links
You can have a double gang dimmer, but quite understand what you are trying to do?
I read it as this
*You have a switch "A" that operates two lights in front room! Is this a double gang switch that operates each light individually or a single gang operating both lights.
*Switch "B" operates downstairs light and the hallway, again single or double gang?

*You want to replace switch "A" so it dims both downstairs lights!
Which are the two downstairs lights as you have only stated one downstairs light which is on switch "B"?

So confusing!

You can have a double gang dimmer, but quite understand what you are trying to do?
I read it as this
*You have a switch "A" that operates two lights in front room! Is this a double gang switch that operates each light individually or a single gang operating both lights.
*Switch "B" operates downstairs light and the hallway, again single or double gang?

*You want to replace switch "A" so it dims both downstairs lights!
Which are the two downstairs lights as you have only stated one downstairs light which is on switch "B"?

So confusing!

Yeah sorry, reading that back it is a tad confusing!

I have 1 double gang switch (as in one plate, two switches) in the living room operating the living room light, and the dining room light. Open plan arrangement

Then I have another double gang switch in the dining room operating the dining room light, and the hallway/stairway light

I wanted to swap the living room switch out for a dimmer, that would dim both living room and dining room lights

Still a bit confusing

Yes, easy to change make sure you buy a two-way dimmer and that it will handle the load you require to dim.

Rememeber to take a picture before you remove the old switch.

Regards,

KA

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kevin, bought the right thing

I am a little lost as to which wires go where though?

Speaking of pictures...

I'm fitting one of these:

227374_R_Z001

Which looks like this on the rear:

j0jzus.jpg

Ignore the wires

First thing to do is check your new switch will actually fit that back box, as I suspect it probably will not.

As for your diagram, turn the right hand switch upside down, and that's how your existing switch is laid out,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back