32A extension trailing socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great item this. 5 Socket extension trailing socket.

Maybe useful for electricians who understand its limitations. Dangerous for others.

An extension lead which appears to have no fuse. But it does incorporate a volt meter, so if the voltage is dropping you know your overloading the cable!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321455973...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_331wt_1065

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321455973346?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm so glad it has "Imported fire-proof flame retardant materials is used,has outstanding fire-proof property"

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe that blue thing is a fuse holder.
And it does say
"Over-current and overload duel protection design"

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Great item this. 5 Socket extension trailing socket. Maybe useful for electricians who understand its limitations. Dangerous for others. An extension lead which appears to have no fuse. But it does incorporate a volt meter, so if the voltage is dropping you know your overloading the cable!
My goodness - try not to think about BS1363 :)

Where does the '32A' in the title of this post come from - the items in question seem to be marked "10A max"?

Kind Regards, John

32A is a little joke from me.
Ah :)
I'm probably being unfair. I'm sure its perfectly safe.
I don't think I'm particularly 'sure' of that! It may possibly be safe in terms of over-current protection, but I'm far less sure about the safety of those outlets ... and it clearly is not BS1363-compliant (admittedly, it doesn't claim to be - and nor do I see any 'Chinese Export' ['CE'] markings!).

I'm also rather intrigued as to why they bothered to include the voltmeter - I can think of remarkably few situations in which it would be of any particular value!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The seller has sold at least 23 of them recently, mostly receiving good feedback from people who obviously had no idea of how dangerous and unsuitable the item actually is.
A familiar story.
8 yuan each for quantity purchases, approximately 75p.
That, in itself, presumably does not mean a lot - other than to people used to dealing with Asian manufacturers (certainly not me!). I imagine that many of us would be reduced to tears if we knew what was the ex-Asian-factory bulk price of many of the 'reputable Western-branded products' we buy!!

Kind Regards, John

Take a closer look at the BS1363 plug on that lead .... its the 'unfused' variety.

These are very common in Asia - Malaysia uses a BS1363 look-alike but doesn't have a fuse and they don't use ring finals - all the sockets are on 10A radials using DP MCBs.

I think this another one of those items that is being sold 'out of context' through the global market of Ebay.

Malaysia uses a BS1363 look-alike but doesn't have a fuse and they don't use ring finals - all the sockets are on 10A radials using DP MCBs.

I've been to Malaysia many times over the last 40 years. All the BS1363 plugs there have fuses (only 13 amp though) except for the very occasional Chinese moulded lead as above. They do have a nasty habit of putting 2 pin Europlugs in the sockets however assisted by a bit of plastic called a plug key to open the shutters.
Although I've never seen ring finals in domestic premises a local sparks tells me they are used in industrial premises.

I've been to Malaysia many times over the last 40 years. All the BS1363 plugs there have fuses (only 13 amp though) except for the very occasional Chinese moulded lead as above....
If you really mean "BS1363 plugs" (i.e. BS1363-compliant), I suppose it's inevitable that they do have fuses - it's the "BS1363-like" ones that may not!

Kind Regards, John

I have never seen a BS1363 like one as you put it apart from the very occasional moulded lead.

speechless-smiley-006.gif

I recall seeing something similar to this when I was in Sri Lanka a few years ago. It would appear that their continuing to use BS546 has caused problems with plug-socket compatibility!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back