adding an extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen has 4 double sockets with 2 cables going to each. ..I'm assuming they are in a loop.......i need to add one more double to power a microwave and toaster....is it safe enough to take a spur off one

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you can't assume they're on a ring main . You need to be sure before going ahead

however if they are on a noncompliant multi-socket spur then the answer is no.

Sponsored Links
Also you may not add sockets to a circuit which has no RCD protection - something else which needs verifying.

My house has the old ****ty red and black wiring in metal conduits.....however the kitchen has been rewired at some point ...probably when the last kitchen was installed.....it looks well done and wired up to the cu.......its the old style fuse box so no rcd..........the double i want to tap off runs the fridge and the new double will only run a microwave or kettle and occasionally a phone charger.........i need to do wiring now but a new fuse box will be getting installed in a few months

the new double will only run a microwave or kettle and occasionally a phone charger

Only? A typical 800w output microwave consumes 1200w, a kettle typically 2500w. Quite large loads.

The socket in question is behind a fridge and wont be used .....only the spur will be used.......Thought I'd mentioned that in the first post but must have omitted that sentence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back