Adding circuit for induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a new kitchen, replacing the old gas hob with a Neff induction hob.
Fitted a new 6mm sq from the consumer unit, through to a 32A isolation switch beside the new appliance.
Not yet fitted the cable to the consumer unit.
Hob rated at 7.2KW max therefore was going to fit a 32A mcb at the consumer unit.
My question is on the loading up of a consumer unit - currently I have a split load unit with a 100A Main switch loaded with 1 x B32 & 3 x B6 mcb's on that side and an 80A 30mA RCD with 4 ring main circuits on the other side.
I have spare slots available on the unit and would like to add another 32Amcb to the main switch side for the hob - would this be acceptable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Requirements would ask for RCD protection of cable, unless it was buried 50mm within wall of mechanically protected.
So I would pop it in RCD side on 32A MCB or install 32A RCBO at main isolator side, on that circuit.
What ratings are the four RFC socket circuits?

looks like 4 x B32 breakers. Downstair Ring north, downstair ring south, kitchen and utility & upstair ring main.
Cable runs up preformed duct along with most other cables to upstair and then routed around the eaves space before dropping down a cavity to the isolation switch

Thanks for your quick response

With 4 X 32A on RCD side you are somewhere near the maximum demand of 80A RCD. So 32A power circuit would not be best placed that side.
I would look for a 32A RCBO that will fit your board to be on safe side and install on main isolator split.

Sponsored Links
I will look for an RCBO that fits on the main switch side. Thanks very much for your help. Cheers

What tests do you plan to carry out on the new circuit? What sequence will you do them in and at what point will you energise the circuit?

For each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how to carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back