Adding light fitting to fused spur socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a fused spur socket (no switch) in a toilet which currently feeds a fan heater, is it simple (for a sparky) to replace the heater with a light fitting? It's a shaver light fitting but does not have an earth terminal, what cable should they use to connect fused unit to light fitting?

Thanks,
B

Sponsored Links
Yes it's easy (for a sparky) - don't worry, he'll know what size cable to use.

PJ

Thanks, I would like to know the cable size if possible, does it need an earth? New to area so don't know the sparky's and I just like to know they are doing correctly!

is it simple (for a sparky) to replace the heater with a light fitting?
Yes, but won't it sometimes be cold in there?

Thanks, I would like to know the cable size if possible,
Depends on the rating of the protective device and how the cable is installed.

does it need an earth?
Where will it go?

What sort will it be? Can you get it without?

New to area so don't know the sparky's and I just like to know they are doing correctly!
When you were in your previous area, and therefore by implication you did know the electricians, did you used to stand over them questioning their cable choices?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the insightful comments.

Anybody else? How would one of the experts on here change a fan heater from a fused unit to a 60w shaving light (without earth terminal) from a fused unit?

Why are you so hung up about the fact that the light doesn't have an earth terminal?

What do the instructions say about fusing?

Why are you asking people who can't see the job, and therefore can't say where the cable would run, whether RCD protection would be needed, and if so whether it need adding to the circuit, etc, when you're going to use an electrician?

Or why can't you put a plug onto the light and plug it into the socket the heater currently uses?

The FCU is on the ringmain (as explained before) which currently feeds a blow heater (as explained before) the light is 60w without an earth terminal (as explained before), how would you fit the light to the FCU?

It's a simple enough question (maybe it's too simple for the 'experts' on here but humour me), don't know why you are so agitated by it. Aren't these forums for asking questions without sight of the job? Would you like a live video feed to my house to help you answer?

I'm not an electrician so take or leave my comment, as long as the light fitting is designed to not have an earth (ie the instructions say so) then your electrician will simply wire through to the FCU without connecting the earth to the light fitting (since he can't). As for what size cable, probably the same size that enters the FCU from the ring main, which is probably also the same size as currently feeds the heater.

Since it's in a "special" room with water, the government has decided that you should be wrapped up in cotton wool and prevented from killing yourself or future owners (who will be advised to get the electrics tested anyway) by making it impossible for you to do the job yourself without signing up to become an electrician and/or paying large sums of money to your local council or a sparkie (who may or may not do a worse or better job than yourself). No doubt all homes will be required to have no knives or other sharp objects, trip hazards /matches/ candles etc in future as a matter of law, again to prevent the masses from hurting themselves.

Hope that helps.

Assuming you are disconnecting the heater completely, run a 1.0 mm2 or 1.5 mm2 twin and earth cable from the fused spur to the light.

At the light, put earth sleeving over the bare earth wire, and connect to a 5 or 6 amp connector block, if you're certain it's a double insulated fitting not requiring an earth connection.

At the fused spur, sleeve the bare earth wire, and connect to the earth terminal. Fit a 3 or 5 amp fuse in the fused spur.

Remember, when stripping cable, leave the bare ends extra long and double them over when only one wire is to go in each terminal. This will prevent the wire ends breaking off when you tighten the terminal.

The FCU is on the ringmain (as explained before) which currently feeds a blow heater (as explained before) the light is 60w without an earth terminal (as explained before), how would you fit the light to the FCU?
Well, one option might be to plug it into the socket which the FCU supplies:

Hi, i have a fused spur socket

It's a simple enough question (maybe it's too simple for the 'experts' on here but humour me), don't know why you are so agitated by it.
I'm not, but you seem utterly oblivious to the questions which your original one gives rise to.

Like, you've got an electrical item which doesn't need an earth, so why is that such a big issue? You've probably got loads of those already - what's the problem with just connecting the live and neutral?

Like, have you thought about what fuse you'll have to use?

Like, where will the cable from the FCU to the light run if the light isn't going to be in the same place as the fan heater or the socket that currently plugs into?

Like, if you plan to bury any new cabling in the wall, are you aware of the rules for where it can go? Are you aware of the requirement for RCD protection and does the circuit already have it?

Aren't these forums for asking questions without sight of the job?
Yes, but sometimes they can't be answered without some visual information.

Would you like a live video feed to my house to help you answer?
No - I'd like you to realise that your question might have been simplistic rather than simple, and that there may be things to consider which you didn't think to ask about because you have absolutely no idea they even exist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back